1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 4 Western Doctors and Nuerosurgeons

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Bowen, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Bowen

Bowen Peer Supporter

The worst experience I have had with a Doctor was after I had retired from playing professional football in 2002. I was in a lot of pain, mainly in my back and it was constant. I had been in constant pain for 4 years. I retired from my dream career at age 24 after early success. The football club sent me to the best neurosurgeon and he told me there was nothing he could do and I would just have to deal with the fact that I will always be in this pain. I had to lay on the floor during the conversation which was normal as I couldn't sit for more than a few minutes. He was very cold and matter of fact about it. I am sure other people can relate.

Walked out wanting throw myself in front of a truck (not literally), but I felt like crap and like giving up. I was also really annoyed as he told me there was nothing wrong with me and there was nothing that could be done. I was angry and disillusioned. I didnt agree with him and clung to the faith that something must be out there. I definitely have held on to some resentment towards neurosurgeons and other western medicine professionals that claim to know everything yet dont have any answers or treatments that work.

What frustrates me about most traditional doctors is that they are educated that they are Gods within medicine. Their beliefs and expertise are all within a framewrok; A box if you like. If you dont fit into that box then they put it all back on you and wipe their hands clean.