1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ways to relax?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gigi, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

OK, I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I don't know enough ways to de-stress. Work right now is killing me, and I can barely even stand up by the end of my day. I'm yelling at my subC, but I'm getting all sorts of old symptoms popping up and I need to find new ways to defuse the stress. I do yoga and I swim, but I need to hear some new ideas please!

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Sex is the best way to relax, fun too. I like music to take me away. If you put on some old songs from when you were in high school, you will be astounded at how it takes you back to those times, the same neurotransmitters that were firing back then will re-fire. Your body will feel younger for a time, and the symptoms will fade, for a time.

I'm learning how to sit within the moment now. To just sit in silence without having to do something. Swimming, and running, etc., are all "things to do." TMS, physiologically, results from over-stimulation. We always feel we have to be doing something in life. This tasks the SNS and fires all the signals and pumps all the chemicals in the body. Learn to under-stimulate yourself. No sounds, no images, no movement... no thinking of what should be done, or should be doing. Nothingness.

BloodMoon and tarala like this.
  3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh yes - mindfulness is great - I have found it invaluable for overcoming insomnia. I like the idea about the music - especially if you can just dance like mad too. Reading a great book, especially about travel, can really 'transport' you out of time. Or maybe watching a funny film. It's finding things that don't take a lot of effort - but do give a huge amount of joy - errr are we back to sex again? (or a large slice of chocolate cake...)

tarala likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Once in a while, when I feel stressed or anxious (and not even sure why), I take a Kava-Kava gelcap.
    It's a natural herb and non-addictive, to help calm and relax. It's working now for me.

Last night a friend said he takes Valerian root, also a natural herb, a gelcap that does the same thing.

I order Kava-Kava through amazon.com and it's not expensive, but Valerion gelcaps are even cheaper,
    100 for about $5. Both also are reportedly helpful at bedtime to get to sleep faster.

You can read about both of them online and decide if you want to try either.
    I don't consider them a TMS substitute or crutch, just a little supplemental help.