1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 11 Walking away from a physical tantrum?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by PonyGirl, May 16, 2017.

1. PonyGirl

PonyGirl New Member

So, today's lesson said, "Thinking psychologically is the key to overcoming TMS. Whenever you have a flare-up of pain avoid asking yourself 'what physical activity did I do that injured me?' Instead ask yourself 'what stressful events may be causing this?'."

Several years into TMS, I am at the point where the first question I ask is, "What's stressing me?" or "What emotion am I avoiding?" when I experience pain or some other physical issue. A lot of the time, though, it doesn't actually help with the pain.

I can identify what's going on psychologically, delve into the issues through journaling or talking with someone, and my body will just keep amping up the pain (especially with headaches). Eventually I give in and take some OTC medication like Tylenol or ibuprofen and feel like I lost the TMS battle.

I know that in many ways it's like the pain is a screaming toddler having a fit on the floor, and perhaps I need to stop trying to reason with or soothe the toddler and perhaps just walk out of the room until the storm passes.

My question is, what does that look like in practice? I find it hard to "ignore" the pain. Would love to hear how others handle this.

2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

I am no expert but I think you are doing the right thing. 1 understand that the symptoms are repressed emotions. 2 try to imagine what's going on psychologically at the unconscious level.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

When pain really grips you, try deep breathing and living in the present. Do something to distract you that gives you some pleasure.

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I think a lot of it has to do with your attitude towards the pain and whole situation. Its great you've started thinking psychologically! Thats half the battle. If you acknowledge the pain is caused by these emotions and stressors and not by structural problems that is awesome. Then, if the pain is still there, tell yourself its ok. TMS healing takes time. If you need an ibuprofen to get through the day, thats fine! Give yourself some space and "roll out the welcome mat" for the pain, accept it is a sensation that is there and that is ok.