1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Waking up with pains and TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shajarcito, Jul 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Shajarcito

Shajarcito Peer Supporter

I have back pain, ribs, and shoulders pain for about 4 months and I completed most medical tests, yet the doctors don't know what is the source of my pains.
    One Rheumatologist, however, suspects that I may have Ankylosing Spondylitis as the pains wake me up at nights and usually decrease during daytime.
    I have also a TMS personality and have been through tough time just before the start of my pains.
    During the day the pain shows up or gets worst when I'm angry or sad.
    So, I would like to ask you guys whether TMS can explain the kind of pain that wakes me up at night?
    I red Dr. Sarno's book and recently started the structured program here but I didn't find any information on that sort of night pains..
    Is the unconscious mind can create such terrifying pain or its a sign for inflammation (or other structural damage) in my body?
    If it is TMS, what shall I do about that? obviously I can't talk to the mind while sleeping.. Also, I noticed that overcoming day tms has nothing to do with my night pains..

I would be glad to hear some opinions on this mystery,

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi @Shajarcito,

You absolutely CAN talk to your brain about this, you simply need to do a little meditation and visualization exercise before you go to sleep each night, telling your primitive brain, or your fearful inner child (your choice) that it doesn't need to wake you up with pain, that you will be perfectly safe if you have a normal night's sleep without pain.

There are lots of resources out there to guide you through this process. You'll be able to find something that resonates with you.

Also, remember that a normal night of sleep involves 5 cycles of about 90 minutes each, and that most of us wake briefly at the end of each cycle. Understanding this can be very helpful.