1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

very sad

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Oct 7, 2019.

1. mbo

mbo Well known member

hi,
    from my experience with friends, relatives, neighbours, peers,... I have concluded that the message of hope by dr. Sarno ("your body and health are OK, it's just a protective strategy...., don't worry and think about your unbearable emotions...") is rejected by the vast majority of sufferers. "Yes, interesting,... but not for me".
    Those "saved by Sarno" are perplexed about the indifference and resistance that can be detected in so many people (both sufferers and doctors!).
    Very, VERY frustrating and TMS inducing !
    Opinions are welcomed. Thanks.

miffybunny likes this.
  2. Ryanss007

Ryanss007 New Member

When it comes to patients, you can’t really blame them. Im fighting tooth and nail with my mind to heal and because of the test results I have doubts creep up all the time. Lifting heavy weights does seem to make it worse, so its hard on patients especially since the TMS work is not as straightforward as take this pill or do this exercise or get this surgery.

It’s even more complex for Doctors, I can’t imagine a doctor seeing a bulging disk pressing on my nerve and then tells me, go ahead and live your life doing everything including the activity that caused the pop and the onset of pain. From a research point of view, from a licenses point of view and from liability point of view it seems that they are between a rock and a canyon they are not familiar with.

3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

It can be extremely disheartening. I've decided I can only help people who are open to the concepts and on some level know what I'm trying to convey is right. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. If their resistance is too high, or their anxiety is too high to reason, or they only want to defend their pain and argue with me, or they cling to their badge of victimhood, or they keep running to doctors and getting tests in the medical mill,or make excuses that they can't afford psychotherapy (but somehow afford video games, acupuncture, chiropractors etc etc lol)....then I know that they won't help me to help them and it's futile. Most of my experiences in helping others has been positive but I've had a few lately that have made me realize I need to protect myself from others and set boundaries for my own health and sanity. Each person is at a different level of the journey but if they refuse to even enter the gate, nothing productive can come from Sarno's message.