1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Vertigo and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sacolucci23, Sep 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sacolucci23

sacolucci23 Peer Supporter

When you cure your BPPV, do you have any residual symptoms? My BPPV also happened during a really stressful time in my life also. I literally felt like my world was spinning from an emotional standpoint.

2. sam908

sam908 Peer Supporter

My experience with two disturbing episodes, two years apart, was that once it's cleared up, all seems to be back to normal. However, I should add that, once the BPPV was gone, I developed excruciating pain in my left foot and calf. That, too, is now history. That old Symptom Imperative keeps rearing its ugly head.

3. sacolucci23

See, with me, the BPPV is technically gone because the Dx-hallpike is negative now and more world spinning but i feel off balance all the time like I am rocking or not solid. This gets worse when I pay attention to it or am anxious. I also have a lot of anxiety like this is Meniere's or something they are not finding. The ENT says it's not Menieres because I don't have ear ringing but I do get aural fullness sometimes in this morning that dissipates as the day goes on. With all the anxiety I have it's probably what Claire Weekes explains as nervous illness.

4. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

This residual feeling of dizziness could definitely be TMS. Sounds like the original BPPV is resolved. Often tinnitus is also TMS. If you've been thoroughly worked up by all thee different doctors and therapists and nothing was found to cause the symptoms at this point, you can safely conclude it is TMS and treat it as such. MAV occurs due to migraines (as the name says!), which themselves are a form of TMS. Vestibular rehab or PT will not help in a TMS case, of course! It's just like pain. If the cause is truly structural like BPPV or other things (which have been ruled out for you), you treat them structurally. If the cause of vertigo is TMS, you treat the TMS. Let me know if you have a question!

5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

This is a good point you make, that some symptoms you could experience might have a TMS factor at work. Though true BPPV is structural, just like pain syndromes, the TMS caused vertigo could "piggyback" off of an original case of BPPV. This happens all the time with TMS pain. So after the BPPV was resolved the dizziness may have persisted for you due to TMS...and doing the Brandt-Daroff exercises may have been a placebo cure at that point.

6. sacolucci23

MindBody, I am also getting adrenaline rush sensations randomly when I talk a lot or tense up at the computer, for example. It feels like an electrical pulse running through my brain. It's so scary!