1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Book Use Your Mind To Heal Your Body, a new book by Stephen Conenna, P.E.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

Some time next week I'm hoping to have a phone conversation with Stephen Connena, the author of a new book about TMS. According to a post he made on my profile page, here at our forum, he is a former patient of Dr. Sarno's and Dr. Eric Sherman's, who started the monthly panel discussions (Alumni Panels) that Dr. Sarno offered for several years. (Eric Sherman is one of Dr. Sarno's most trusted psychologists and also a coauthor of Pathways to Pain Relief, the only TMS book written by psychologists from Dr. Sarno's Rusk Institute inner circle.)

I met Stephen last spring when I presented my success story at the When Stress Causes Pain Master Class held at the Rusk Institute last May. Stephen gave a very powerful testimonial about the help that he had received from Dr. Sherman and gave free copies of his book to everyone in attendance (the master class was deliberately limited in size so that it would have more of a seminar feel rather than being more like a lecture).

Dr. Sarno wrote about the book that "I recommend this highly." It is the highest endorsement I've seen him give on a book cover, so I thought I would make a thread about the book to raise it's profile.

Just to share a bit more information, a TMS Therapists who I know well and who has recovered from TMS themselves wrote to me to say, "I wanted to let you know that I really like Stephen Connena's book and have referred it to a number of my clients, who have found it very helpful, especially his suggestions about journaling. It's also a good intro to TMS/PPD for clients who aren't big readers (it's mercifully short!)."

If you'd like to learn more about the book or for purchasing information, check out our wiki page about it:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Use_Your_Mind_to_Heal_Your_Body

Has anyone else had a chance to read it yet?

Colly and Msunn like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

The Connena book sounds great. And it is "mercifully short." I want to keep ours short, too.

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks for posting this, Forest. I'm looking forward to reading it.

4. Steve Conenna

Steve Conenna New Member

Hi Everyone!

Forrest--thank you so much for your kind words, for inviting me to join this courageous community, and for sharing about my new book!

I am very excited and privileged to have the opportunity to help others get better faster by sharing what I learned through my own healing experience. I also believe that, as a group, we are on the cutting edge of a methodology that will revolutionize medicine. Dr. Sarno did not merely suggest a new treatment, he discovered a new diagnosis. That is, this new model addresses the source of much chronic pain and not the symptoms.

I love the TMS Wiki and wish I had such a rich resource when I was in pain in 2000. Now that I have been pain free for over 12 years, I look forward to being a contribution to others.

By way of introducing myself, I thought I would share a letter I wrote a part of the "Thank You Dr. Sarno Project." I think this tells you a little bit about myself and captures my gratitude for this work.

Forest and I are discussing the possibility of my being on a podcast where I may have a chance to speak with many of you directly. I would be delighted to do so. Let us know if you are interested or if you have any questions.

Thank you.
    Steve

Dr. Sarno,

I am so pleased to have this opportunity to thank you, acknowledge you, and honor you.

Several years ago I limped into your office with excruciating lower back pain that severely impacted the quality of my life for 2 years. Prior to meeting you, I could not walk properly, run or dance without burning pain. I tried physical therapy, chiropractors, acupuncture, deep tissue massage, and even hanging upside down from my ankles for hours (inversion therapy). None of that worked. Then, NYC’s most prominent surgeons recommended back surgery and they had the MRI’s and X-rays to back-up their recommendations. As a last chance effort to avoid surgery, I went to see you. After working with you and Dr. Eric Sherman, one of your gifted psychotherapists, my pain disappeared. Treatment took less than a year and I have now been pain-free for over ten years.

Since I am a professional engineer, I was able to see the disc abnormalities on the MRI’s. It was therefore very difficult to not subscribe to the physical diagnosis given to me by so many doctors. In the face of my skepticism you held your ground and declared that while the pain is real, the source is not the disc but the mind. It was in your certainty that I found the courage to discover, confront and come to terms with painful emotions from which the pain served to distract me. When it was no longer necessary to be distracted from these emotions, the pain ceased to serve a function and went away.

I thank you for your courage to stand in the face of little to no agreement from medical establishment. I acknowledge you for being a doctor who, early on in your medical practice, told the truth to yourself and others when your patients did not get better using popular and lucrative (to medical and insurance companies) treatments—and then found a way to get your patients better. I honor you for distinguishing a new paradigm for the treatment of chronic pain.

The Collins Dictionary defines genius as “a person with exceptional ability, especially of a highly original kind; distinctive spirit or creative nature; a person exerting great influence.” Collins uses the example, “Mozart’s musical genius.” Future generations will no doubt use the phrase, “Dr. Sarno’s medical genius.” In every sense of the word, you are a genius. I am honored and fortunate to have been treated by you and to know you.

With deep love and respect,
    Steve
    June 2012

IrishSceptic, Msunn and yb44 like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Hi, Steve. Your new book sounds great. Herbie and I are nearly finished writing a book on our TMS healing and offering
    techniques to healing. Forest has been very supportive and encouraging in our project.

I'll get a copy of your book but promise not to lift anything in it for our book.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Steve Conenna

Steve Conenna New Member

Walt and Herbie--Thank you and congratulations!!
    I look forward to reading your book.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Thanks, Steve. We're all helping to spread the word of the good doctor Sarno.

8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Many thanks for stopping by, Steve. I've just been reading your book and really enjoying it. It is very well written.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I'll write a little about Conenna's book to add to the final chapter of Herbie's and my book.

10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve, I want to send you a copy of the book I wrote with Herbie (Eric Watson)
    that is now published: GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO BE IN PAIN.
    We add the spiritual element to Dr. Sarno's TMS Mindbody healing philosophy.

Where can I send you a copy? We'd appreciate your opinion and, if possible,
    an endorsement. We mention you and recommend your book in ours.

Thanks very much.

Walt Oleksy
    waltmax69@gmail.com

11. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Congratulations to Walt and Herbie on publishing their book! That is quite an accomplishment!

I think you should create a separate thread to announce this. beerbuds

12. joseph32

joseph32 Peer Supporter

Great book. It is a very easy read and very helpful from a former Dr. Sarno patient. I use his 6 step method to journaling and find it easy to do it that way.