1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Urethritis = possible TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Kind of embarassing topic but need to figure this out:

I have been having what a Doctor would call Urethritis for a few months now(Symptoms = burning pee, pinching feeling after).

I went to my Dr and they prescribed me:
    7 days of Doxycycline Hyclate. This did not work so they then prescribed 1 day Zithromax.
    This didn't work either so they forwarded me to a Urologist. They Urologist prescribed me: 14 days Doxycycline Hyclate and 7 days Fluconazole. I finished all of that 2 days ago and I am still having the burning. Wondering if anyone has had this and found out it was TMS and it went away? (I see some people on the internet have this chronically which makes me think that could be possible)

I have been tested for std's twice and both times it came back negative but if it is truly medical it could be something else like a uti (which should be more rare since i'm a Male).

(Note: I've tried calling this doctor back a couple times to let them know my update but have not heard from them)

readytoheal likes this.
  2. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

If the clinical tests are all negative and there is nothing then it could be tms. Unfortunately I know something about this symptom. . . sometimes it is so persistent that you think there must be a pathology behind it. . I took medicine for years but no medicine has ever been able to give me relief ..I even got worse. In the end I said enough.

3. Paigeee

Paigeee Peer Supporter

Since you've been checked out, and the pain persists after you've had plenty of medications that "should" have gotten rid of the pain, it really does sound like TMS. I know it's upsetting to have that kind of pelvic pain, but I would really look into the pelvic pain success stories on this site, they're incredibly relatable and inspiring!

readytoheal likes this.
  4. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

You said "enough" meaning you figured out it was TMS and the pain went away???

5. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Sorry, would this be under "Groin pain" ? I didn't see pelvic pain.

6. Mary80

Mary80 Peer Supporter

sorry... I said "stop"..no more medicines. I meant to say this.

and anyway .. nothing is forever ..and I do not understand why the pain must be eternal. I think of my symptoms as tms and I'm better!

7. Paigeee

Paigeee Peer Supporter

Mary80 likes this.
  8. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

9. Paigeee

Paigeee Peer Supporter

No apology necessary. Symptoms don't necessarily have to be the same with TMS, even when it's affecting the same area of the body in groups of people. Just think of it as different sensations, but they're still distressing. In that sense, they are the "same." The tactics these people used are good tips on where to start with your TMS journey.

10. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Dear Freedom, to say it very bluntly: yes, it could be TMS and what you tell sounds that it is likely TMS. I know about the symptoms had them on and off for many years. And did some research. First of all: the checks you had included all sorts of bacteria and also candida, I guess. Ask the urologist if they also included ureaplasma and mycoplasma, some docs don’t test for them. Because they haven’t found anything they prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic and also something against possible candida [fungus). Most bacteria must have been g9nue by now. Therefore it seems to me pretty unlekely that you have an infection. If you still are insecure about that you could find a different urologist and have the full checkup for infection again.
    Where does the pain come from? It sounds strange, but yes, it is partly muscle related. The urethra muscle can be tense, your pelvic floor muscle can be tense. This causes what is called referred pain. It’s not the muscles themselves that ache but the tissue that reacts. If Dr. Sarno is right it is the lacking blood flow that makes the tissue burning. It is important that you understand that this is not a condition where something is structurally wrong with you. You can do yoga, relaxing the pelvic muscles etc.. But from my experience the only thing that really helps is addressing the underlying psychological issues. One thing is always meaningful to ask if the pain is urethra and bladder related: what do you try to hold on to? What do you don’t want to let out? It’s a question of controlling emotions with the body, like pressing your lips together when you don’t want to weep. Sometimes knowing this is enough and the pain disappears.
    So, this problem can be solved!

11. NicoleB34

NicoleB34 Well known member

i have this too. it has been diagnosed as interstitial cystitis, which is sort of a catch-all term for bladder and urinary pain. "itis" would suggest an infection or inflammation, but it sounds like that has been ruled out since you took so many meds without relief. Pelvic nerve pain causes the burning you speak of, and spastic muscles along with sensitized nerves definitely do this. After a while, pain sort of embeds itself in the brain and that's why it is considered chronic. The brain is key though. Remember, pain is just a danger signal. Your brain has some reason to believe that your urinary tract is under some sort of danger, so it's sending inappropriate looping pain. Mind/body work is how you break this loop. It's hard work, and i'm still trying to figure it all out, but i've learned a lot and my pain has shifted a bit.