1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Upper back muscle tension

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by fredb, Jun 13, 2019.

1. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Can traps and upper back tension become chronic. Lasting many months without release? I am using most of the mind body methods to relax my upper back muscles and have had good advice here from others, but just can't seem to break through this barrier to releasing the tension/ tightness and resulting pain, when at its worse. I do believe anxiety is probably causing this tension, but have not been able to conquer either the anxiety or the pain and not sure which comes first?
    More advice from those of you who have dealt with this successfully would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Um, yeah, that's pretty much the definition of TMS!
    You say that you're using mind body techniques, but are you really employing TMS theory according to Dr Sarno?
    Have you done the SEP?
    Are you addressing your repressed emotions?
    Have you read any of the stories on the Success subforum?

See my recent post "Do yourself a favor and listen to this podcast" Then do it.

3. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Hello Jan . Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately I can't find your recent post and podcast. Your profile and posts are not open to me. Can pleases help with that? I am working through the SEP and read some success stories, but have trouble identifying emotions. I think I am following DR Sarno's methods, but because of anxiety, I'm finding it tough going

4. JanAtheCPA

5. JanAtheCPA

You can beat anxiety, too. Read Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes. It was the second book that saved my life, after The Divided Mind.

6. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for your reply and interest Jan. I will have look at your message.
    Thanks again from a TMS struggler

7. JanAtheCPA

Hey Fred, I just wrote a bunch of stuff on another post by someone named Frank (Fred and Frank - I'm having a hard time remembering who's who!) Anyway, check it out, I posted a whole bunch of resources and also this advice:

This work is all about taking control over your unconscious negative thoughts, the ones that your primitive brain is trying to overwhelm you with - so that it can keep you safe and in fear at all times. You MUST TAKE CONTROL and call bullshit on that crap!

You also MUST be willing to look hard and completely honestly at the negative emotions your primitive brain is trying to cover up with the symptoms.

Most importantly (and this is mentioned frequently in my favorite podcasts, in the SEP and the Recovery Program, and in every Success Story) you have to stop obsessing about your symptoms. That's part of the negative chatter that you are allowing to take control of your thoughts.

Bodhigirl likes this.
  8. fredb

fredb Peer Supporter

Thank you Jan. I have to admit obsession with symptoms is an issue with me and a very difficult habit to break.
    Thanks again.
    F.

9. Bodhigirl

Bodhigirl Well known member

This is so helpful today as I am back at basics since an accident last Saturday. My anxiety is at an all time high. Lots of negative and fearful chatter. There is unknown after a concussion. My imagination is commingling with PTSD and rushes of anxiety. I’m so tired!
    It’s a lot of work to not go down the rabbit hole, creating new symptoms.
    I’m so tired! I will look for podcasts to listen to, for sure.