1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Update since Dr Gwodz Seminar

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by ValVal, Jul 3, 2013.

1. ValVal

ValVal Peer Supporter

My original story is here if you want to read a short history: http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/new-here-tms-questions-and-my-story.1902/#post-12384

So, I went to Dr. Gwodz's seminar a month ago. A lot of the info was info I had read already but a really useful thing was being able to ask questions throughout. He was really great! Also, the second part of the lecture that gave real strategies of talking to your brain. The first week, I spoke to my brain a lot (he recommended 5-6 times an hour). My back pain, anxiety, & even the Vulvodynia, all improved quite a bit. The last couple of weeks I haven't been speaking to my brain much- probably b/c I'm feeling pretty good.

Now, starting yesterday I'm getting bad wrist pain. It's like burning and it bothers me when I type and do other things throughout the day. I had this a couple of years ago, particularly after having my daughter (7 years ago) and then a bit later it came back but I don't know when.

I'm thinking it's TMS but it REALLY hurts (worse than my back). lol Then again, so do all the other pains that come and go. SO, I'm adding this to the list of my TMS symptoms/equivalents... (back pain, anxiety, IBS, Vulvodynia, tinnitus, hay fever, wrist pain...)

(***Is there a possibility there is really something physically wrong with my wrist??) Consequently, my back is perfect today! grrrrr

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

ValVal, what do you think? This seems like classic symptom substitution. And it's working! Look how upset you are about it!

3. ValVal

ValVal Peer Supporter

gail- I think you're right... and I think I know that academically. However, I feel like when it happens to ME, it's sometimes hard to believe that it's TMS and not something physical.

4. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Yes, that's the special power of TMS. :)

5. Lori

Lori Well known member

Years ago I went to one of Dr. Gwozdz's lectures with someone whom he had diagnosed with TMS. His ppt presentation was similar to the one Dr. Sarno had given. :)

It is common for symptoms move around and/or manifest themselves differently sometimes.

If you are still worried about something being physically wrong, you could call Dr. G.

ValVal likes this.
  6. ValVal

ValVal Peer Supporter

Lori- Thanks- Yes, he said his lecture was very much the same as Sarno's.
    By the way, my wrist pain lasted 2-3 days and is totally gone now after talking to my brain a lot, "I know this wrist pain is not due to physical reasons, but due to the fact I don't want to think about ...... "

Amazing.

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Isn't it amazing at how simply knowing our symptoms are TMS can make them go away? Congrats on the progress you are making.

ValVal likes this.