1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Update!! Guys, I did it!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jules, Apr 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Jules

Jules Well known member

I had to come in here and post my success story, only because I have been on this forum for 3 plus years and got so much good advice and encouragement from you all!

I can truly say I have overcome TMS - all of it! I know I said this before and then it came back, but for the last 6 weeks, I have had a major shift in my mindset that turned my whole thinking around. The last time I posted, I said I was reading a book called The Power of Neuroplasticity by Shad Helmsetter. The man is a genius, and reading that book was a gift I needed to hear.

He talks about how our attitudes are tools which we bot direct ourselves internally and externally. Healthy and positive attitudes help you succeed while unhealthy and negative, or harmful attitudes make life difficult and helps us fail. He has a list of 12 attitudes that will help us the most:

1. An attitude of optimism
    2. An attitude of peace and serenity
    3. An attitude of kindness and harmony
    4. An attitude of determination and focus
    5. An attitude of intuition and awareness
    6. An attitude of spiritual well-being
    7. An attitude of service to others
    8. An attitude of thankfulness
    9. An attitude of forgiveness
    10. An attitude of healthiness
    11. An attitude of patience
    12. An attitude of SUCCESS!!

I have implemented this list into my daily life and it has been a miracle worker! I also listen to meditation every night before bed, and whenever a pain surfaces, I thank my brain for protecting me, scan my emotions and feelings at the time, and then process those feelings and let them go. I then go back to what I was doing and the pain leaves. Since I’ve been doing this and letting the pain come and go - without reacting to it - it is gone! The nausea I complained about was all tied into my emotions and feeling tense about aging and emotional turmoil over that scary fact, along with second-guessing and over-analyzing my symptoms. Once I recognized that and that this was all tension, it too has left.

So, for 3 weeks now, NO pain, NO nausea, and NO anxiety! danceadanceadanceadancea

After 25 years or longer of TMS, 7 years of TMS work, I can finally say I HAVE OVERCOME!

Thought you’d all like to know. ;)

zclesa, Balsa11, BloodMoon and 16 others like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Jules, I am truly so elated to hear this from you! It's been quite the journey of ups and downs, but you've got this, girl! And you're showing everyone here a perfect example of how each person needs to find their own unique path to recovery.

Yayayayayaaaay!

plum, Lizzy, Jules and 1 other person like this.
  3. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

could you tell me which meditations you listen to every night?

TrustIt and Jules like this.
  4. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Amazing! I am so happy for you Jules. Those twelve attitudes are life changing and so is your indifference to Tms symptoms and the courage to re-enter your life fully. Well done!

nowa and Jules like this.
  5. Jules

Jules Well known member

I listen to Good Vibes Binaural Beats- they have tons of mediations on YouTube. I listen to the ones on stress reduction, anxiety, and neuroplastiticy. I also listen to Vortex Success and Michael Sealey on his sleep hypnosis for anxiety, digestion, and IBS, which were main issues. I rotate these every night and have been listening to them for months now. They help me sleep great and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day.

I have also used the app Calm and Currable which are great for situational anxiety and when I feel like the world is coming down on me, especially with the covid19 virus that has taken over the world. I have been working from home with hubby, him on one side of the office, me on the other. It’s been hard, but we’ve made it work simply by allowing each other space and to work uninterrupted. We’ve had to schedule our meetings so they don’t overlap each other’s. I’m the content director for a marketing agency and he’s an IT analyst, so he has a meeting every morning, and mine are 4 days a week, spread out.

These meditations and taking a break every few hours have really helped me stay calm during the social distancing. I also do what I can to lower my stress, such as gardening (since in my state, it’s deemed essential), however, I do curbside delivery so I protect myself and others.

Anyway, try these meditations, they work very well. Sometimes, I even listen with my noise cancelling headphones at work and my day goes much smoother and less stressful.

6. kristina

kristina Newcomer

So, so excited for you! What a miracle!

nowa likes this.
  7. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jules,

Great for me to hear your progress and success.

It seems an important part is the classic "ignoring symptoms" piece. That is, you don't pour fuel on the fire. I suppose this is easier with more trust that things are OK, and that when you have symptoms, they will also go away! Bravo!!!!

Andy

Balsa11 and nowa like this.
  8. Thelauriebelle1

Thelauriebelle1 Peer Supporter

I really needed to hear this today Jules! Thanks so much!!

9. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Your story is trully inspirational, especially for me. I struggle with pain almost for 10 years, I'm doing TMS work for year and a half. Quick recoveries can be discouraging, because those thoughts like "why I can't heal so fast?" come so often. But then I read stories like you - when person is not instantly healed, or even after a month or year. I remember your posts where you were feeling defeated, and thought that you will never overcome TMS, but you did it! Like I said, it's really inspirational

10. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Elation and celebration are in order for any success with TMS and TMS equivalents. But I will add a cautionary note. Overcoming TMS or an equivalent does not necessarily mean one is "cured" in the sense of never having another episode. Even Dr. Sarno, as great as he was at treating TMS and its equivalents, had recurring episodes of his TMS equivalent of heartburn, which he also called gastroesophageal reflux. Rather, overcoming TMS or an equivalent means that if and when another episode occurs, the person has learned how to stop it, usually in short order. Sarno was able to stop it by being aware that he was repressing anger and figuring out why he was angry. See Healing Back Pain p. 45. I said the person has learned how to stop it "usually in short order" because as Sarno wrote at p. 45: "Sometimes it is something that is so loaded emotionally, I don't come up with the answer [to what angered him] for a long time." For an instance when Sarno was not able to stop his heartburn in short order, see The Divided Mind pp. 125-26.

I wanted to add this cautionary note as foundational for making a point that I think is important: A new episode of TMS or a TMS equivalent does not mean cause for despair. It just means a person has more work to do along the lines of what has worked for him or her in the past.

11. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Thank you!

nowa likes this.
  12. Drew

Drew Peer Supporter

Hey Jules,
    Been following your story for a while.

that is awesome and congratulations.

I have myself seen phases of recovery but then keep falling harder everytime.
    Did you have any nerve symptoms too like tingling burning electric shocks or pins and needles?

nowa likes this.
  13. TrustIt

TrustIt Well known member

Thank you for posting your success. I have the same issues as you and of course I'm in the same position of house arrest. I felt like I had beat my symptoms quickly a couple of months ago and even wrote some posts about it to encourage others. Then it came back. Second Time Around is a kicker! Anyway glad you are good to go now. You've inspired me so thank you again.

14. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for recommending these fantastic meditations, Jules. I listened to one last night and I could feel the tension melting away - particularly and almost instantly from my face and jaw...

And the 12 attitudes are now on post-it notes around my house.

Super congratulations on your recovery and thanks for sharing! :)

BloodMoon

nowa likes this.
  15. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

Hi Jules - just wanted to say how helpful this has been for me. i've realized that negative attitudes frequently knock at my door, especially in the morning. so being aware of that is the first thing...when i feel those negative attitudes coming on i'll say to myself - what if instead of being pessimistic, i'm optimistic today? what if worrying about this or that happening, something wonderful happens? what if instead of dreading a certain task, i look forward to that task? what if looking at myself as a loser i see myself as a winner?
    so i wanted to thank you for your helpful post. hope you are continuing to do well.

Balsa11, TrustIt and nowa like this.
  16. Thelauriebelle1

Thelauriebelle1 Peer Supporter

How is it going still??