1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. understanding repression

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    HELP- Do I have TMS? And how do I know what I'm repressing when I don't know? Two years ago, when I moved to the states I went through like four months of a depression and soon after developed tension in between my shoulder blades that has now spread up to my neck and sometimes into my low back sometimes. I have tried everything else (but not consistently) and Xrays showed that I have a scoliosis and mild disk degeneration. I know my issue is psychosomatic but today, for example my right shoulder blade has been in so much pain and since reading your book I think it's gotten ever worse, and I sit there thinking 'okay, what is my psychological repression right now?' and i'm scanning my brain thinking of all the possible things that could be giving me anxiety or anger but the pain doesn't go away, (sometimes it does for like a second) but then I'm just so frustrated like, why isn't this getting better?? I have self diagnosed myself with TMS just because I know it begun at a really low point in my life, but I wish my body would just stop repressing so life can move on.

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question.

While emotional repression is an important aspect of TMS, I find that trying to figure out what unconscious emotions are driving your pain as a first step to recovery is quite difficult.

Instead, I would suggest first trying to break the cycle of fear and preoccupation which can give you significant pain relief and provide you with the tools and confidence to explore those unconscious emotions.

I would highly recommend checking out Alan Gordon's TMS Recovery Program here on the wiki because it discusses some important behavioral concepts including breaking the cycle of fear and preoccupation and practicing outcome independence. These are concepts that you can practice and get results from that are more concrete and less elusive than searching for repressed emotions.

Once you've got some of these behavioral concepts down, you can explore the emotional aspect of your TMS with less pressure and urgency. If you get stuck or need more guidance, I would suggest working with a therapist or coach, ideally one who specializes in treating people with TMS.

Be patient with yourself and you will get there.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.