1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Twisting the Spine

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Livvygurl, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

It has been one week since I have been using my laptop without the stand. I feel better and a sore spot in the base of my neck has disappeared – this is good news :) That being said I’m happy to report my improvements! Now, in facing another hurdle I would have to say that I avoid most twisting movements and have for a long time. I started yoga (50+) last week and will begin to gently stretch my body with strengthening and flexibility as the goal – not pain relief, k? Also I continue to journal, self-talk, and read mindbody books. My spine feels frozen like I have been in a time capsule for 15 years. Any advice about facing this next hurdle in recovering my body mechanics?

2. Susan

Susan Peer Supporter

Livvygurl,

Is your spine stiff? If so, maybe a 5 minute or so warm up by walking will get the blood flowing and then you could try a very gentle yoga twist. In the end it probably all goes to setting your intention. If there is nothing structurally wrong with your spine, you can self talk your way into a twist. Sarno's Daily Reminders from Healing Back Pain can help get your mind aligned with your intention. These reminders are very helpful to me.

Susan

Forest, veronica73 and Livvygurl like this.
  3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Livvygirl:

Glad you are making progress. Yesterday I went on a hike after weeks of not having the time. Took my dog of course. I was sore but kept reminding myself that there was nothing wrong with my body, and one day was not going to totally give me the break I so need.

"Good sore" is OK. Like gentle stretching to undo all the inactivity. I have some back exercises that came on cards. Last year, I sort of designed my own program using these stretches and yoga I have learned. It worked really well. The trick is S L O W and easy. Like start with 5 minutes and move on from there. But it's a good idea and get all that "junk" unblocked in your spine. And by "junk" I mean emotions.

Hope this helps. It's a great reminder for me too!

BG

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Livvy, :)
    I started yoga some time ago to add something different to my exercise repertoire. I have to say I was hesitant when I began, especially with the bending forward while sitting, and twisting poses. After the year or so now I have to say my back muscles are definitely more relaxed and flexible.
    One twisty pose that comes to mind is when you're lying down and your legs bend to one side and your to half kind of leans to the other. No pain and nothing is being harmed. I realize that millions of people are doing this and aren't harmed so I am not being harmed either.
    Livvy, it will take time to trust the fact that your body is strong! Have faith that you'll get there.
    Happy healing!

5. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

I just lifted my 15 pound cat like it was no big deal and No pain!!! I have been doing some gentle stretching everyday. I think it is giving me more confidence that my back is strong and my future is bright ☼ I am so excited to have fun again! For the last 15 or so years I have been a hermit, I was in a fog as to the cause of all my pain. It is sad to think of all the other people in the world who have not stumbled upon Sarno or the Wiki. Maybe we could buy some bus board ads :cool:

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Your improvements are really inspiring. Keep up with the great work! The more activity you do, the more confidence you will gain. This was a big part of my own recovery. Being active gives us that prove that we are not weak and that we are strong. This only builds our confidence in the approach and really jump starts our recovery.

Livvygurl likes this.