1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

tVNS- Vagus nerve stimulation. Have anyone here in the group tried it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JoeHealingTms, Nov 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Im doing vns and is working for that last percentage of tms that was coming back and forth. Anyone here have tried it?

2. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

Hi JoeHealingTms - I would be really interested to hear more about vns - where do you get it done? Is it electrical stimulation? I have heard good things about it. Thanks

3. JoeHealingTms

It is electrical stimulation of the vagus nerve. There are many studies that say it helps for anxiety, depression, seizures, etc. It seem to be working fine for me. You can do it yourself, if you get informed and know what you are doing. I consulted it with my doctor and he gave it the green light. I can tell you what you need, but it will be your responsibility to see if it fits you as I can not give you medical advice. PM me if you want more info.

starseed and Marls like this.
  4. stradivarius

stradivarius Peer Supporter

Hi Joe, thanks for your reply. I have just PMed you.

5. EileenS

EileenS Well known member

If this is done electically, I wouldn't be doing it, especially if it's do-it-yourself. I think using Dr Ho's TENS machine caused a vagus nerve stimulation that put me into all over nerve pain. It could have been coincidental, but it happened right after using it on my neck a few times. The nerve pain is what kicked me off into feeling like I was living in Hell for a few years.
    There are safe non-electrical ways that help to calm the vagus nerve; deep breathing exercises (Dr Andrew Weil has audiobooks on this), chanting and vocal exercises, and yoga to name a few.

plum likes this.
  6. JoeHealingTms

I did this with a Dr's supervision. And I do not think that you were doing vns if you are applying it in your neck, because vns is only applied on the LEFT EAR, with a special electrode. Never in the right ear and never in the neck. I just checked the machine you used and THAT IS NOT a machine for vns, and Dr. Ho is not a doctor in medicine but in chiropractics, so he can not give a prescription for a vns machine, which is an FDA approved and researched device. Tvns uses VERY specific frequencies and parameters, one of them being that the power or amount of current applied is less than 2 milliamps. If you know anything about bio-electricity, then you would know that I am talking about a signal, at 1 milliamp is not felt at all, so if you got shocked or jerked by the machine, it was because you applied the wrong amount of power, in the wrong spot without medical supervision. What you did, was to use a NON vns machine by yourself, with no studies in the matter, no research, no information, not a real doctor consultation,not an apparent knowledge of how the machine really works, and now you are discouraging others because you did all these mistakes. Please refrain from my post if you are going to come here with misinformation. Tvns have hundreds of studies right now that are easily accessible. It's been used in 6 month old babies. It have been used to stop seizures and depression and even in autistic children.

The other troubling matter in your post is that you are not even 100% sure that what you did was vns and neither if it was actually that wrong machine and therapy which did it. You only suspect that it did because it happened right after you used it. I have used all kind of tens machines, but I have a background in electricity and electronics, and I know what I am doing and where you can and can not put a tens machine pad, and I understand ALL the parameters and ranges of the frequencies and power of a tens machine. So like you admitted, it could have been coincidental, but since you are not really sure, and since you were not doing vns or even using the proper machine, you do not really know if real tvns could have worked for you or not. I encourage everyone to know what they are doing in ANY type of therapy before actually doing it.

I posted this to see if there are others using real vns and their experiences since it have REALLY helped me, and I mean like taking out the anxiety and pain and resetting me to a almost complete normal state in a very short time. The people who have asked me about it, I have given all the fair warnings, and procedures(including consulting with a real doctor and getting informed about real vns and all the parameters of their machines) before doing anything. I been in this group long enough and really appreciate the support I got here, and would never mislead a fellow TMS sufferer in the wrong direction. This is for people who have tried everything (like me) including what you mentioned and did not get results. I can say this have been a game changer and possibly could be for others if done properly.