1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 8 Trying to remain detached

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Shabda-girl, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

My progress so far has more to do with mental rather than physical. Since I am getting ready to move out-of-state in 6 days and have a whole lot of anxiety going on right now, I began this program understanding that there would be a possibility that most of my physical healing would occur once I get through huge move. So by keeping that in mind it has helped me to remain more detached from the pain and expectations. So my goal this far has been to practice remaining detached to the pain, knowing that it is a result of everything that has been going on recently. I do feel that I am doing much better, since I began the program eight days ago, in being able to let the pain be present without putting my attention on it or worrying about it, which has kept the pain from getting worse. The pain, I notice, is absolutely the worst in the morning when I first wake up and am filled with anxiety about facing the day and the huge out-of-state move. But luckily once I get up and get going, and do all the things I would normally do without pain, it seems to dissipate and my day goes fairly well- And I only just now realized that, as I typed it in here. I'm feeling pretty proud to realize that I am functioning normally even though I am doing so much. I do have to be honest and admit that I still feel nervous that once I get past all of this excessive stress, that the pain still will be here. But I guess I just need to focus one day at a time and deal with it when I cross that bridge. I have to remember that I recovered from TMS in the past and that I can do it again. I will also finally have insurance coverage In April and will be able to resume Cognitive Behavioral Therapy,which is very helpful for me and the anxiety, so this is reassuring for me as well.

gailnyc likes this.
  2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I think this is a huge part of healing. Are you familiar with Claire Weekes' "Hope and Help for your Nerves"? In it she talks about doing just this in order to calm down over-sensitized nerves. It's great you're able to do this on your own.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

Wow gailnyc, I had that book on my bookshelf but hadn't read it yet and now it is packed away in boxes. And since you brought it up, I went ahead and checked it out on Amazon and decided to get it on my Kindle. Just read the first couple of chapters and am really liking it. Thank you so much for mentioning it and reminding me:)

gailnyc likes this.