1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2 trying to move on

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by valerie, Apr 24, 2013.

1. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

Today I went to the gym for water aerobics, something I haven't done in several weeks. I had started going originally because I thought it was good for my back but it's a lot more fun than I expected. No one can see how un-coordinated I am like regular aerobics. and it's a good work out.
    I also went to get a haircut, and my stylist asked how my back was, and I said, better. and then we moved on. The shortest conversation about my pain in 6 months!
    I read dr. sarno's book sunday and saw myself all over. while i'm starting to feel better, I am not sleeping well at all. normally i might have one sleepless night but i'm up to 3 in a row, and i'm exhausted. My husband has been out of town all week and I am a bit afraid of telling him about this - luckily so far he's been too busy to talk on the phone so I've avoided it. He comes home Friday so I am wondering how he will take it.

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Do you think anxiety about telling your husband could be causing some sleeplessness?

I am fortunate my SO and family embraced the whole method when I was on my back in pain. I figure they figured I had nothing to lose and everything to gain if it worked.

Do you want to think about how to tell him? Practice with us? I'm sure others here have faced the same issue! You could always have him read the reviews of the books on amazon--most are very encouraging!

3. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

thanks - the Amazon reviews are a good idea - he is an engineer so he will look for data :) I had told him I was ordering the book but frankly I had no idea what I was getting myself into - a colleague I work with recommended it with a lot of disclaimers.
    One thing I think he will really appreciate is that he has been saying (and asking every doctor we see) if I should be exercising. and all say, no, if you're in pain - other than one doctor who recommended swimming (which I don't do). I have now gone for two walks and done aerobics and I feel basically ok. I also stopped taking all my drugs - for the most part - I had a couple of muscle relaxants to try to get me to sleep but I stopped the ibuprofen and the pain killers.
    I don't think i can get him to read the book (he's not a reader) but may like the article i read in the "Day 2" link and the 20/20 piece - I know i can't stop thinking about the lady in the wheelie cart and how she is running at the end.
    There are others who may have doubts that I'll have to tell eventually but he's the most important; basically this happened the day after we got back from our honeymoon so our marriage started out pretty tough so far!

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

That 20/20 segment was great! Can't argue with those results! (though Stossel's brother did!)

You can always just tell him since he's closest to you, and as you are feeling better others will ask what you did. By then they will see how it worked for you and they won't be able to argue the results either!

I remember telling a few at work (after I was out for weeks and everyone knew i was having back pain) "Dr. Sarno--look him up." Then it was up to them to pursue it to see what he was all about.

hmm, started when you got back from your honeymoon. I would be exploring ideas there. Starting a new life as h/w, new responsibilities? etc. I can tell you that whenever I suddenly have a pain or condition, I always examine what had just happened in my life and look for a connection. Sometimes I understand quickly, sometimes not, but most times I do find a connection! I used to get pain whenever i got back from vacation!

All the best, Valerie! You can be healed and enjoying life!

valerie likes this.
  5. valerie

valerie Peer Supporter

thanks, Lori - I slept so much better last night. well, maybe too good, I really had to drag myself up this morning...much more normal.