1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Trying to Believe

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by katerina, Apr 6, 2013.

1. katerina

katerina New Member

I am 46 and was diagnosed with hip arthritis about 6 months ago. I have always been an extremely healthy and active person, and now I feel completely hobbled and depressed from continuous pain. Because my spouse had success treating his chronic back problems after reading Sarno, I turned to that for my hip issues. I could compeletly relate to the TMS personality type and was initially very optimistic that i would conquer my pain like so many others have. I even began seeing a therapist. But I began to doubt after my pain not only persisted but actually got worse. Recently I began contemplating total hip replacement. My therapist reminded me that treatment for TMS requires belief in the psychogenic origin. So I am throwing myself into this Structured Program in the hopes that the stories of others and the daily exercises will help me really believe that I too can be helped.

Thanks to all the people who have made this resource available.

2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Katerina, I would check out some of the success stories in the Media section too while your working your way through the SEP. Dr. Howard Schubiner's series of talks on the psychological origins of TMS pain symptoms also provides a lot of good theoretical background information. You may want to drop in to the TMS Wiki chat forum on Saturdays for hands on help and support from other people with TMS symptoms. Good luck on your quest for healing and self-knowledge. I'm not a doctor, so, of course, I can't diagnose and/or treat your condition, but doesn't 46 sound a little too young for total hip replacement surgery? I've heard that sometimes if you x-ray both the effected hip and the hip without pain, you'll discover that there is the same amount of arthritic changes in both hips. Have you done that? I sure would! I have it on the authority of Dr Mow at SOAR (Stanford Orthopedic Athletic Rehabilitation) that once you go for total hip replacement you'll definitely never run again. Dancing with impact is also potentially dangerous.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Katerina, and welcome to the forum! I second everything that Bruce said - including the fact that I'm not a doctor ;) but I wanted to add that another possible explanation for an increase in pain after starting therapy (which is a phenomenon known to Dr. Sarno) is that you might be getting too close to the scary repressed emotions that your brain is trying to distract you from - so it's trying even harder, and taking advantage of your doubt as well.

As we like to say around here, as long as you've been checked out by a medical professional, and unless you're having a medical emergency, it can't hurt to believe in a psychological basis for your pain, and the resources we've put together here are all free, so take full advantage. And keep posting - we're here to support each other and everyone's got a different experience and point of view, so you never know when you'll come across the advice that makes everything fall into place for you.

Jan