1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 10 Trying to be patient

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mypathtorecovery, Jun 10, 2013.

1. mypathtorecovery

mypathtorecovery New Member

I can't say I've experience many changes in pain yet. The one thing that seems to have helped a bit is ignoring the pain. It's still there, but by not consuming my mind as much, it seems less significant. I still look forward to the moment I am pain free. I know this can be different for everyone, so I am trying to remain calm and patient.

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

This is huge. Really huge. It took me *months* to get to this point. The more I am able to ignore the pain, the more moments I experience pain-free. Mind you, they are only moments, but they are getting longer and more frequent. So I would celebrate this and realize you are on the right path.

Leslie likes this.
  3. mypathtorecovery

Thank you for sharing that gailnyc. It's good to hear I'm headed in the right direction and sounds like you are making great progress as well. :)

4. Nattycakes

Nattycakes Peer Supporter

For me what helped at first is not just ignoring the pain... But not caring that it was there :)

Acknowledge it.. Even laugh at it! Then redirect yourself when you start to do conditioning things...

Such as "when I turn this way it hurts!" Instead just say.... Who cares if it hurts when I turn this way!!! Work on not caring about it. THEN work on ignoring it. It will hurt and get better, move around in your body.. All sorts of things.. But once you change your mind frame, and start working on redirecting those conditioning thoughts.. You will see improvement. You start to have a sense of peace and power once you do this. The pain is trying to generate fearful thoughts, and it becomes easy to start feeling that emotion and giving attention to it. But if you have the I don't care attitude, the pain WILL fade!

Not saying that this is the way to do it... But this is what is helping me and I hope it can help you :)

Leslie, Stella and gailnyc like this.
  5. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

I think you're right--"not caring" and "accepting" are better than "ignoring." It seems like a small difference but the words we use are important. If you "ignore" pain you might end up trying to challenge it or push through it or "put up with" it (as Claire Weekes would say). If you practice not caring and accepting you are less likely to cause additional mental strain. Instead you acknowledge it is there and then think of other things.

Nice post, Nattycakes.

Leslie and Nattycakes like this.
  6. mypathtorecovery

Come to think of it, not caring is more what I've been doing than ignoring. And you're right, there is a difference. Thanks Nattycakes!

Nattycakes likes this.