1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 18 Trouble with journalling

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by bur, Aug 30, 2018.

1. bur

bur New Member

I find it increasingly difficult to journal every day as part of the SEP. When I read the three lists I made before there is nothing on there that I necessarily want or need to write about.
    • I feel like I have dealt with issues from the past before (in therapy or otherwise) and they are not a problem at this time. Maybe some of them will pop up again in the future, but for now I think those issues are fine as they are.
    • In most aspects of my life there currently is nothing I'm stressed about. I've started a new job recently, but I'm experienced at what I do and everybody is really helpful and friendly, so I'm not stressed about that. There is some trouble with one of my cats which is fighting the others, but I know what to do about that, so I'm not stressed about that either. I can name examples in other aspects of my life as well, followed with the same conclusion. I guess everything is under control at the moment. I'm sure something stressful will arise in the future, but right now I'm fine. Even my pain does not stress me out any more now that I know what is causing it and how to deal with it.
    • The last list is about personality traits. That I can journal about :cool: and I have journalled about them. It was really useful and provided important insights and action steps.
      For example: I've learned that I cause most of my stress myself. I've had a dialogue with fear / anxiety which was really helpful. We've had our "talk" and reached several agreements. Since then fear and anxiety have been more relaxed and I feel like this will improve further with practice. This will take time and energy though and I'd rather not add to my plate by journalling about other personality traits just yet.
    Right now I'm thinking about quitting the journalling for now until the time comes that either something new pops up in my life that causes stress, or I feel ready to dive into another personality trait.

I'm not sure though. Am I right about not being stressed? Or am I repressing stress? I've had a burnout twice before, so I guess I do not have a great track record when it comes to noticing that I'm stressed out.

I do not think I'm stressed now though... My pain is mostly gone, and when it pops up I can deal with it quite easily most of the time. I feel good both physically and mentally. I am in a good mood when I teach. I am calm and patient. I know I am less able to be calm and patient when I am stressed out, so that's a good sign. I am tired in the evenings, but it is way less than it has been before. Being tired probably is to be expected when you start a new job.

Any insights? Is this a smart or a not so smart idea? Anyone who has had a similar experience?

2. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

I think you should keep up with the journalling. You should really focus on the times when you were stressed and journal about those. If you feel that you really dealt with the issues in therapy then perhaps you can just free journal during those times. Be happy that those moments you have tackled them and feel you have them under control. Sounds like you are doing excellent!