1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Treating Pain Using the Brain - David Butler

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by mouser, Aug 1, 2016.

1. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

Just watched this and haven't seen it here. The search didn't produce any results. It was enjoyable plus I think some good support. :)

Lunarlass66 and Jacqui9 like this.
  2. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for posting this video. Really a great sense of support and being on the right path.

mouser likes this.
  3. If 6 was 9

If 6 was 9 Peer Supporter

Yep, that was a great video. I liked how he said it was about pain treatment, not pain management because the latter always implies pain is permanent.

On a personal note, it was great to see a fellow Aussie dispelling the myths about pain. After watching it last night I woke up with not the usual back stiffness, so wondering whether it had particular resonance with me because of the cultural connection.

Edit: I've just watched it again. I think there's gold in the idea of the language we use to describe pain and life in general affecting recovery. I'm going to experiment and start using the opposite words to describe how I'm feeling. So when the pain gets bad say to myself "gosh I'm feeling good!" Can't hurt to try ;-)

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

My greatest pain is when I walk, especially stairs. I try to put my attention on parts that don't hurt like my hand and feet, then 'I feel good' isn't a lie.

And another Aussie pain researcher is Lorimer Moseley. He has a few videos too, very good. Not as cool a shirt tho. ;-)

5. If 6 was 9

If 6 was 9 Peer Supporter

Hi mouser, that's a good strategy, I might try it.

Yes, I've seen one by Moseley, it was great in describing what actually goes on in minutiae during a pain response.

Pretty sure they're both from Adelaide, it must be the pain capital of Oz.