1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Trans Global Amnesia

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Smokey73, May 6, 2022.

1. Smokey73

Smokey73 Peer Supporter

Trans Global Amnesia is a short term memory loss with no structural cause or after effects, except fear from the experience. I recently had my 2nd one after 20 years. It occurred to me this might be a tms event. Has anyone else had one?

2. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I haven’t had one, but my father had one about 25 years ago and is totally fine. A good friend of mine had one two or three years ago and she also has no lingering affects. I wouldn’t worry. You probably will not have another from what I know about TGA. I guess they aren’t that rare if I know two people who have had one.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  3. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

One of my best friends experienced something very similar back in junior high. She was not on any medications, nor was she one to skip class - ever. But she ended up missing half a day of school... and has no idea where she went or what happened. Zero recollection. She was still talking about this incident when we were in our twenties, brainstorming possibilities and wondering if something was physically wrong with her. I've always said it was the result of her stressful home life, as things had started to become more complex for her around that time.

I performed a quick Google search and Cleveland Clinic lists emotional/psychological stress as one of the contributing factors!: https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21028-transient-global-amnesia (Transient Global Amnesia; Causes, Symptoms & Prevention)

4. Smokey73

Smokey73 Peer Supporter

Yes, anxiety does play a big part in a Trans Global Amnesia episode. I have been handling TMS and anxiety for 4 years now, with the help of the wiki and other resources. Meditation and tai chi, affirmations and other relaxation tools are part of my daily practice. I thought I was quite sucessful. I do believe TGA is TMS because there is no cause, no way to prevent it and no after effects. It comes and goes, usually once, or at the most twice in a lifetime. It is rare and bizarre. Perhaps I have taken on more activities than I can safely manage and need to cut back. How do we tell if we have gone too far in our efforts to live a normal life? This episode has shaken my confidence.