1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tooth ache gone

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by CMA, Mar 17, 2014.

1. CMA

CMA Peer Supporter

hi all
    So I have learnt about TMS and manage to almost treat my foot pain, my myofascial pain at different places , random piriformis pain . Still struggling with anxiety and sinus issues. Anyway, two weeks ago I got a cold and badly congested and my wisdom tooth started hurting suddenly, saw a dentis, he refered to an oral surgeon who scheduled an extraction which I did. After that I started experiencing pain in few other teeth, increased sensitivity suddenly and overall became miserable. Went to the dentist again who was amazed at my sudden increase in sensitivity attributed to enamel loss.

After a couple of days being frustrated I searched for tooth pain and sensitivity on TMS forums, read a few posts and told myself this sudden eruption of dental issues has to be TMS.

Each yr I am very stressed at the onset of spring due to a whole bunch of reasons. Once I told myself that, amazingly enough my toothpain was all gone. I still have sensitivity to cold stuff but its the same that I have had for yrs, not something that stops me from eating and makes me miserable.

I am determined this spring to not get overly stressed and caught up with illnesses and need your good vibes.

Thanks all as always for your support

Last edited: Mar 17, 2014
    Seraphina likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That's great. It's always to see a dentist to rule out anything structural, but I've had tooth pain that I believe was TMS as well. Deciding to not worry about it helped me a lot.

3. honeybear424

honeybear424 Well known member

I just got back from the dentist thinking I was certainly getting a root canal today. He said he was almost certain I didn't need one. He thinks I should have the special 3-D scan just to be sure, so we'll see, but it sure does feel like something in that tooth that he said looks fine.

North Star likes this.
  4. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Honeybear, I believe some of my dental twinges and sensitivities have been TMS. I had a rather severe stab of pain in a tooth a few weeks ago that threw me into a panic….but it disappeared. Only to be replaced by other random twinges. I have to laugh over it because it's just so ridiculous.

honeybear424 likes this.
  5. honeybear424

Really wish I could laugh at this, but coupled with the intense TMJ pain on the opposite side, I am at my wit's end! :(

6. North Star

Oh Honeybear…I DO feel your pain! Trust me when I say I WASN'T laughing when that jolt hit me the other week. It awoke a very deep and primal fear of a repeat of the dental nightmare I endured last year. I finally got, what I referred to as "the devil tooth" extracted. The trigeminal nerve pain left me sobbing curled up on the couch. The tooth had 3 fractures in it…the xray didn't pick it up.

That jolt was in the opposite tooth on the other side of my mouth. The dentist had mentioned that tooth might go bad too since BOTH of those tooth problems were the result of a shoddy crown inlay. I am absolutely confident that my sub conscience filed that away for future reference. That tooth is FINE!

If the 3-d imaging is something you can do, it would certainly set to rest over something structural. I know for me, my xrays were fine. But the pain just kept growing…

Good luck!

7. honeybear424

Yes, that is why I am having the 3D X-ray. Regular x-rays don't show everything. I asked if he suspected a crack or fracture and he said he didn't. The tooth on testing is only a little sensitive to cold, but doesn't hurt to bite or anything. Ugh. This tooth is directly next to the one that zapped me two years ago as I stood in my mother's bedroom...a room I hadn't stepped foot in for nearly 25 years (if you can believe that!) after bringing her home after her surgery and one-week hospital stay. This was an extremely stressful time for me since this is one of my biggest issues. Let's just say she is "difficult"...not just for me, but for everyone that knows her. I live only 30 minutes from her, but have to keep my distance to "protect" myself, and so don't see her often at all. The night my tooth started hurting, it was after I had been to visit her in the hospital 5 times during that week and this was enormously stressful for me. She has no other friends in a city she has lived in for 35 years.

I ended up having a root canal on that tooth a couple of weeks later even though nothing showed up on that x-ray either. Thinking now I never needed that root canal at all.

North Star likes this.
  8. North Star

Whoa. No wonder your tooth is hurting! I am so very sorry you have such a stressful relationship. For the life of me, I will never understand how some people can be so difficult. My husband's grandpa was a mean old codger so we saw first hand maybe a little bit of what you're dealing with.

And perhaps for different reasons, I have to keep very tight boundaries with some of my family (and my husband's) family members. bangheada

Any chance you could get away for some down time to relax and recreate if the 3 D xray reveals nothing?

9. honeybear424

I wish! I'm on Spring Break this week, but I have a paper for my Fathering class that I need to get started on AND the biggie is that we are putting our house on the market this week in preparation for my husband's job relocation to Phoenix. The plan is for me to stay here with the girls until May of 2015 (Yes, I did say NEXT May!) when our youngest graduates high school and I finish my Bachelor's degree. It's not exactly your typical relo, but it's what we feel is best for our girls. New Mexico has this nice thing called a Lottery Scholarship, and our oldest is only in her first year. We'd like her to at least get another year in courtesy of this scholarship. So...we're taking this one day at a time and I am getting a major opportunity to put to use all I have been learning over the past few years with regards to "staying in the present moment".

10. LindaRK

LindaRK Well known member

Those x-rays don't always show something ..... I had the 3-D, panoramic after having a root canal and lumpectomy (root canal through the gum tissue). Pain was still there so had it extracted and the tooth had several deep fractures. This happened with another tooth, too. I eventually had 2 implants. That was the year I lamented I could have bought a new car with what I spent on dental work! Important to note that sinus issues, even very mild can cause all kinds of tooth pain, too. Been there and doing that.

North Star likes this.
  11. North Star

Linda, oh boy, can I relate! And devil tooth had roots that touched my sinuses…that's part of what made the pain so excruciating.

Honeybear, we are at similar life stages. AND….our house in on the market in preparation for a move to AZ. I can hardly wait to get out of these brutal Montana winters. We have talked about me moving down there until the house sells so I get the "not exactly your typical relo…" Not sure if I'll do that or not. We still have two kids at home…our youngest is finishing high school. My next oldest may be getting married in the next year or so. So many moving parts right now!

I hope your tooth settles down on its own, Honeybear. Lord knows you have enough other distractions to contend with right now.

honeybear424 likes this.
  12. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm sorry you ladies are having or have had tooth aches.
    I had lots of tooth aches in my upper mouth for years as a teenager and in my early 20s,
    so over time I had most of them out and used an upper partial. I expanded that to a compete upper plate
    when I was 22 and haven't had a tooth ache since and I will be 84 in June.

That's my tooth ache story. My bottom teeth have been and are fine.

13. honeybear424

What a coincidence, North Star! What part of Arizona are you headed? Maybe we'll be neighbors. :)
    I really feel for you in your situation with your children and the possibility of them not all moving with you. That was a tough pill for me to swallow at first, although now it seems as if they will both be joining us. Still it's hard to say, a lot can happen in a year when you are that age.
    Today's the day for the 3D scan. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it comes out clean. The tooth has bothered me less over the past couple of days. I had an intense session with my TMS therapist this morning doing a little ISTDP. It'll be better next week when my older daughter is back at the dorm. Then I won't feel like I need to restrain myself in any way.

Good luck selling your house!