1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tony Robbins for TMS... Yes, the informercial guy

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Steve

Steve New Member

fwiw, I've found Tony Robbin's books, CD programs and seminars (I've done them all) to be helpful with my TMS. I got introduced to his ideas long before I learned about TMS. I've found he has some powerful and unique strategies for replacing disabling beliefs (e.g., I am injured) with empowering ones (I just have TMS which is harmless) which are important skills for TMSers. One of his core principles is that we create our emotions through how we focus our mind, use our body and focus our brain/beliefs. He provides very practical tips on how to manage one's emotional state in trying situations. I definitely don't think his material is in the first few things a new TMSer needs to read; the info on this wiki, Doctors' Sarno and Schubiner material are all much more relevant. But those advanced acheiver-type TMSers (is that redundant?) always looking to get more useful tools he's worth considering. I use his stuff every single day, 10 years after reading his books. The books (Unlimited Power and Awaken the Giant) are cheap and used copies available (on Alibris and Amazon). Or for real budgeteers get his (or other TMS) books for free on paperbackswap.com. I found his CD programs and seminars to be very helpful but they're pricey and strictly for those with cash to burn. Also, used CD programs can be found on ebay. But maybe it's just me... curious to hear your experiences.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

That makes a lot of sense to me. I was just reading Lori's great success story, and near the bottom she says,
    Changing the way that we think is a crucial part of recovery from TMS.

TMSers are, I think, terrific synthesizers of ideas, and we find new ideas all over the place. For example, rdgrey was greatly helped by a book about procrastination by Neil Fiore:
    http://tmswiki.org/ppd/What_Helped_Me_the_Most,_by_rdgray

What strategies that he mentioned have you found most helpful in managing your TMS? Is there one or two strategies that you think others on the forum might find helpful?

3. Steve

Steve New Member

Forest
    Great ideas/ suggestions.
    I put 3 of the best things I got from Tony Robbin's in my post here:
    http://tmswiki.org/forum/threads/fibromyalgia-and-chronic-fatigue.198/

In addition to those, I learned the importance of beliefs, and a process for eliminating negative beliefs (such as I am injured), described in detail in his books. One of the most effective is what he calls the "Dickens process", after Charles Dicken's Christmas story, where scrooge sees the impact in the past, present and future of his behavior/beliefs. In the book, he walks you through how to change your beliefs by emotionally associating at a deep level the impact of your negative beliefs on your life in the past, present and future, and how your life will be more fulfilling now and in the future with a new, empowering set of beliefs.
    Separately, he also has tons of very practical tips for getting out of bad emotional states like fear, depression, anger, etc.