1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

To laugh or to cry?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by TG957, Feb 15, 2020.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Was sorting out my paper for recycling and found this (of course, unused!) invitation to "Complimentary Neuropathy Event" for the "people with nerve damage symptoms". I have no idea how these people got my address, but I was invited to have a free dinner as long as I agree to learn "the latest about neuropathy".

At first, I laughed. But then I thought about this massive lucrative business around chronic pain and I felt so sorry for all those who suffer through pain, being unaware or in denial of TMS, and I was not laughing anymore.

Judging by the names of the restaurants where they are doing these events, these predators are willing to drop at least $30 per attendee in hope to sell them their latest scam.

Just curious what people think, should I, if invited again, go to one of those events and give attendees an eye-opening speech on TMS, before the organizers throw me out?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the question to ask is if you disrupt the hope that attendees have, can you effectively, invite the sufferers to an alternative they might investigate!? I am always cautious to interfere in the path people are taking, except to do it gently...Otherwise we take away the possible placebo help for this person, even if they're engaging in something we do not see as effective. Your thoughts?

3. TG957

I see your point, Andy, and I agree, in general. I didn't think about the possibility of a placebo effect. After all, people often do better after those procedures. My coworker had carpal tunnel surgeries on both hands, and, mind you, she had no reason to have RSI. I tried to talk her into reading Sarno's book, but she said she did not have time or patience for alternative treatments and surgery was a quick way to get rid of pain. I have not spoken to her about the results after the surgeries but I haven't seen her wearing braces lately, so she must be doing well.

In my case, I was hoping to reach out to those who are simply unaware and may see the light. And you are absolutely right, it has to be very gentle because people get embedded with their pain and it becomes part of their identity. I have plenty to learn from others here on how to effectively proselytize TMS without risk of rejection. I had a very sad interaction with a psychologist who has CRPS and does research on CRPS. She told me that her CRPS is not too bad with the ketamine shots she was finally able to walk, so she would not want to rock the boat and consider other options, even if they may promise full recovery. And then, without a pause, she complained how difficult it was for her to function because of the constant fatigue and pain.... At that point, we parted.

At some point Sarno started taking on only those patients who agreed to consider psychological causes of their pain, and it was a right decision. People either accept it or not. Still, they can change. The story of Steve Ozanich who threw Sarno's book into the wall upon the first reading of it is very telling. The bottom line, this is definitely not a black or white situation.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Gosh, I only receive invitations to retirement investment seminars - I started getting these shortly after I started receiving an avalanche of unsolicited Medicare supplement info in the mail. Which means that all (and I do mean ALL) of the insurance companies know my birthdate - which is alarming enough. But it's more alarming that you were getting these as the result of a specific medical condition - isn't that a HIPPA violation??? Unless you somehow signed away your privacy rights.

Anyway, I think I might be tempted to attend for the free meal (here they are usually at quite nice restaurants) and to see what they are, in fact, peddling.

1. If a participant were to ask you directly, you could simply say that you are recovering, and how, and that you have no intention of pursuing whatever is being promoted, but that you would love to see a mindbody approach included in all treatments. Nice and polite, and no pressure.

2. You could be more aggressive with the the marketers, and express interest in promoting the mindbody approach at their events. Unless they are more open-minded than seems likely, they would be foolish to keep you on their mailing lists.

TG957 likes this.
  5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

It seems like nerve pain is the hardest thing on the Tms healing chart to heal..

TG957 likes this.
  6. TG957

Perfect set of instructions! Thank you, Jan!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

From my experience it's more about WHO and not WHAT.
    What I mean it's more important who is 'sick' than what specific symptoms that persons has. I'm talking of course purely about TMS.