1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS vs Doctor in my Head

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by carriej, Nov 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. carriej

carriej Newcomer

I have been diagnosed with Piriformis syndrome.

I know this is TMS having read all of Dr. Sarno books.

I am battling saying the Dr. Sarno statements in my head, when I still have my doctor in my head saying I can't get rid of this unless I do PT, Stretching and Massage! Her words are hard to dismiss.

Please give me some positive feedback only. I want to believe in TMS and just start moving naturally without any form of alternative treatments to get well.

Thanks.

2. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

It’s TMS, not Piriformis Syndrome. I was given that diagnosis too after all my lumbar MRIs were normal. I even had surgery which removed my Piriformis muscle, guess what? I still had pain after the surgery! I waited 6 months after surgery and still had pain. I started TMS treatment in August and although I do still have pain, it is less than before, I’m able to sit longer and my physical activity is almost 100 percent back to normal. My biggest benefit has been the mental aspect of this. I suffered for over 3 years with intense buttock pain (which would switch sides) and intense foot pain which moved around foot. TMS treatment has been the biggest relief to my physical (and mental) pain. My only advice is to give it time. Sarno’s biggest disservice was claiming most could be cured in a matter of weeks. You need to change a lot of things in your mind, this takes time. I’m almost happy I got TMS, the healing process is changing me for the better!

Lainey, Lizzy, Lavender and 5 others like this.
  3. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

Jocko, that's amazing. Spot on.

Carrie, you got this. It's your mind: take control and override the doctor voice. You're the expert on your life.

4. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

That was one of my many diagnosis from a pain doc. Just take drugs & you’ll be fine. LOL. Or better yet, get a fusion, or even better, muscle relaxer with cymbalta. So feel fortunate you don’t have the same doctor I went to. At least he or she is advising natural healthy activities, which can do no harm.

I would meet with a PT ( either physical therapist or personal trainer). You would be amazed at how well strength training does for the mind, body and spirit. That is what brought me back from the abyss.

I know, there are ones who will say no PT etc., but realize exercising, massage, etc are GOOD for the mind body and spirit. So, I will stand out in a limb for stretching, physical training and massage........Its natural and good for you, so why not.

Best to you

5. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

Problem with PT is that they will get you to focus on your body! That is exactly what you DO NOT want to do. I got physically active on my own. I started doing high intensity cardio for short durations and built it up slowly. You don’t need anyone like a PT saying your muscles are “tight” it’s all BS, that’s how they make a living. Just go out and DO IT!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    readytoheal, Lizzy and Free of Fear like this.
  6. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

A qualified personal trainer or physical therapist is trained in the mechanics of the body. Just because a person uses a personal trainer, who is knowledgeable in HOW to use weights properly, is not a sign of weakness or “giving in” to symptoms.

If you do not like personal trainers, that is your right, but to make a blanket statement is not only misleading but not fair to the thousands who work their ass off for people. Can you say RBG at her age that uses a PT 3 days a week, as I.

In fact, tight muscles is exactly what Dr Sarno first attributed to TMS....................... So massage and stretching actually is helpful for muscles, as any knowledgeable PT or body based person would tell you.

I really don’t appreciate you calling BS on my post, as you really don’t know what works for me or anyone else. I was merely giving an opinion, which consists of mind, body and spirit. To tell someone not to head advice of their MD, who, in fact, only gave her natural, non-medicinal, non-invasive advice is reckless at best.

That is all.
    So sorry to the origin of this post for it to get hijacked. I really hope you find what works best for you.

starseed likes this.
  7. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

The Cornerstone of TMS Therapy is to refute to the physical! You should be on a different type of message board if you want to promote PT for this type of disorder. I’m not saying all PT is pointless, it’s needed after accidents, joint replacements, etc. but I was in PT for years and it only gave me a sense that my body was damaged. PT treatment for a problem that has no concrete diagnosis is BS, and I’ll continue to stand by that statement. It’s part of a money making scheme by the medical industry and it gives doctors an easy way out! The Dr. doesn’t know what’s going on and they will prescribed “PT” with the “hope” that it will help.
    If you want to get better refute the physical, going to a PT absolutely does not do that. You may want to read Sarno again. Your post is dangerous to anyone trying to recover from TMS, it’s exactly what Sarno says not to do.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  8. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

You, my dear new member, should read more about the MB experience. You are not on here as a trained medical or TMS Doctor. We as members of this or any other message board should not encourage people to disregard medical advice, since you know not of their detailed situation. The thought of any doctor that only suggests what is natural for the body ( movement, stretching, massage, MIND BODY, yoga, meditation) is a great doctor, period.

Point one—you state you were in PT for years, apparently it didn’t work for you or you had a really bad PT.

Point two—I’ve been on this message board for 5 years, I am on the right message board

Point three—any TMS doctor will tell you to get a physical diagnosis done before embarking on TMS theory.

Point four—you are putting all doctors & PT in one basket, because you seem to have had a bad experience from each. No different than my thoughts of pain doctors, see my original post on this thread. There are great doctors & PT out there period.

You are correct, Sarno, who’s theory has been tweaked does say don’t use a PT (by the way there is a difference in physical therapist/personal trainer) but, his theory is muscle tightness caused by lack of oxygen, therefore massage brings oxygen back into the muscles. So kind of conflicting, as stated previously what works for some will/will not work for others.

Point of all this—-don’t rush to judge my opinions or anyone else or state that a post is dangerous, there is so much more in play than to simply put it into a nice little wrapped package. While you have your opinions, I have mine. As with the current state of politics in the USA, I will never change your mind, nor will you change mine.

Please allow the origin of this or any other thread to read all the differing opinions and make their own mind how to proceed. You know not of my experience nor theirs. Allow everyone that replies to express their opinions without judgement.

Knowledge from varying view points is invaluable in life!!

9. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

You, my dear “peer supporter” should realize I never said I was a trained medical Dr. or TMS therapist. This is a board of people looking for TMS advice and I provided what is working for me which is based on my TMS reading. I’m stating the most basic principle of TMS therapy, refuting the physical. I’ve done a ton of reading on the Mind Body Syndrome and I never read ANYWHERE that PT was beneficial in the long term. “Physical” Therapy implies that there is something “physical” that can be done to rid the pain. PT may provide a temporary fix, but it will not get to the root of the cause.
    I went to many PTs. Some of the very best too, and they never helped me. ONLY 100 percent refuting the physical diagnosis and getting on with my life has helped. This is what you MUST do to get better.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  10. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

Wishing you & everyone else on this thread a joyous Holiday Season.

Over & Out.

Life is too short

Lainey and starseed like this.
  11. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

Just replying to the original question here- yes, as a PT here I can tell you that piriformis syndrome is 100% TMS! It really is...message me if you want to chat more. Doctors don't know squat about this stuff, they just recommend it as basic standard of care since there aren't really any other "standard" treatments for it. You don't need to go to a PT for it. Yoga, massage and other things are great if they make you feel good but aren't required. Thinking psychologically is the way to go.

Lainey and starseed like this.
  12. neent

neent New Member

I also had been diagnosed with piriformis and almost exactly the same as @jock01 i had my muscle removed. Im now treating it as TMS too and am gradually upping my activity although sitting is still very painful. @MindBodyPT i would love to message you to ask some questions, would that be ok?

starseed likes this.
  13. MindBodyPT

Yes happy to chat anytime!

14. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

Neent,
    Your are the only other person I’ve ever heard of to have this surgery too! I’m like a new man since starting TMS therapy but still have some sitting pain which is 100 percent a conditioned response.

15. Jocko1

Jocko1 Peer Supporter

MindBodyPT would you mind if I messaged you too?

MindBodyPT likes this.
  16. MindBodyPT

Yes happy to chat with anyone!

starseed likes this.