1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS therapist in London?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by lilyboo83, Jun 9, 2014.

1. lilyboo83

lilyboo83 New Member

Hi everyone. I am still suffering from this horrible pain 8 months on and now considering seeing a TMS therapist.

Does anyone know of a reputable one based in London?

Thanks so much for any help or advice you can offer.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Lilyboo, I don't know of a TMS therapist in London, but have a DVD
    from Susan Hepburn, a London psychotherapist and hypnotist that I really like.
    It's called "Stress Relief for Life," where she has a session with a young man using
    many techniques for relaxation that I find are very similar to TMS pain-relieving techniques.

You can probably learn more about her and the video in a Google search.
    She's not a TMS therapist, but I like her relaxation dvd. She has an office on Harley Street.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Jane Parkinson is a psychoanalytic psychotherapist in Brighton who works over the phone and Skype. I met her at the 2012 TMS conference in NYC and really liked her, but, of course, one can't draw assessments of clinical skill based on social meetings. Given that she is a psychoanalyst who specializes in TMS, though, her clinical skill is probably good. At least one member of our forum sees her and seems to like her, though we haven't talked about it directly.

Recently, Jane helped to organize a keynote address given by a Sarno psychologist at a prestigious international conference. Eric Sherman, PsyD, another Sarno psychologist, described the event as follows:

I just wanted to let everyone know that Frances Sommer Anderson, PhD, SEP was invited to deliver the keynote address at The John Bowlby Memorial Conference in London, April, 2015. Dave Clarke, MD will be the medical consultant/discussant.

This is a prestigious, international conference which will elevate the profile of PPD to an audience of renowned scholars. We are lucky to be represented by two such distinguished professionals whose contributions to the understanding and treatment of PPD have already influenced a generation of clinicians. Their recognition is well-deserved.​

I feel that Jane should be lauded for her contribution to our movement. If I were considering visiting her as a therapist, I would consider her contribution as an indication of her commitment to TMS therapy. This is important because any therapists can claim to be TMS therapists, but you don't know how committed they are or if TMS work is actually an important part of their practice.

I hope this helps!

Links:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Find_a_TMS_Doctor_or_Therapist#jparkinson
    http://www.tmspsychotherapy.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/5453?opendocument&part=3
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Survey_Response:_Jane_Parkinson

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  4. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Lilyboo,

I would recommend you to contact Georgie Oldfield.
    She is a great practicioner based in the UK.

Www.sirpauk.com

You can read my success story, she helped me in my recovery process.

Good luck!

5. lilyboo83

lilyboo83 New Member

Thank you all so much for your advice. I am honestly so touched by how people on this forum are so genuine, and I always feel like I an talking to a group of reliable friends when I write on here.

I hope you are all having a lovely day :)

Sienna likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, lilyboo. Love your post name.
    I knew you would get some replies to help you find a TMS practitioner in London.
    Yes, the TMSWiki.org is a great bunch of caring people. Good luck in healing.

7. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Lilyboo,

How are you doing? I am in a similar boat. I properly found out about TMS about 3 months ago, and have been trying to apply the principles ever since. I have had some success but am still suffering from some lower back pain that peaks and troughs in its severity. I am STILL struggling with truly accepting the diagnosis. I know its TMS, but even though I say that, I am still avoiding certain physical activity. I swam 20 lengths this morning and felt great afterwards, but running or anything strenuous is still terrifying to me.

I am telling you this because I contacted Georgie Oldfield a couple of months ago and she was very helpful, understanding and really friendly. I had a free Skype consultation with her and have been given the option to follow up when I want, completely in my own time. I feel no pressure to go with her at all, which is very refreshing compared to all other medical professionals I've dealt with regarding my pain (looking at you my chiropractor "I must have at least 12 sessions at £35 a pop and then continue for the rest of my life...!).

I haven't decided to meet her properly yet, but am seriously considering it as I am still struggling with the pain and need a helping hand I think - I am going to create a thread to take a look for more info.

Hope this helps you :)

Very best wishes,

Adam

8. Sienna

Sienna Well known member

Hi Adam,

I would definitely encourage you to move forward andtake either the wiki's or georgie's program, as ypu still need to break so much cobtitioning and programming in ypur brain.

I also inform you both that Georgie just published a great book on TMS.
    You can order it on her website.

Good luck!

9. tmsandrew

tmsandrew Peer Supporter

I would also recommend Georgie - I went through her course about 4 years ago. She is based in Yorkshire - but I think she does Skype and some satellite sessions in London. Anyway, I had about 3-4 face to face meetings with her - each one requiring about a 5 hour round trip - but still worth it! Actually the most useful was meeting with the support group she organised - actually seeing other people in the flesh talking about their pain and how they had overcome it was pretty mind-blowing. I know the internet is great, but sometimes actually meeting people in real life has an extra kick....

Good luck :)

10. UkAdR

UkAdR Peer Supporter

Thanks for the replies Sienne and Andrew.

If you don't mind me asking, and I understand if you don't want to as I know you shouldn't focus on it, but how's your pain now?

Sienna - I have read your success story on the Thank you Dr Sarno site, and its amazing. I can't imagine myself for a second going on holiday abroad at the moment for fear of the pain, but my dream it to be able to take my now 20 month old son to Lapland when he's around 6/7 to see where Santa Claus lives - I'd LOVE to do it pain free :)

11. tmsandrew

tmsandrew Peer Supporter

hiya

you can read my story here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/does-tms-strike-again-knee-pain.4698/

I'm having a few issues with my knee at the moment (though through the worst!) but have been free of RSI for about 4 years now....

12. paula58

paula58 New Member

This forum is so good. I am here in the uk for six months from home in new zealand and finding it really difficult to meditate or have any space to myself and the pain from trigeminal neuralgia is really stressing me out so much so that i want to head home early i googled the site and have consequently organised a phone session with georgie oldfield and immediately i start feeling better. I have a question tho, my niece is urging me to see a hypnotherapist who she says has eeally helped her anxiety and i think i remember reading that hypnotherapy may help for a short term but is not recommended for the long term. I think i,ve just felt very desparate. What do people think?

13. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi paula58,

I don't discourage you from seeing a hypnotherapist. It can do no harm, and may do some good!

Andy B