1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS & the SHT

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Northwood, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Northwood

Northwood Well known member

Hi, All,

First post. What I wonder about most, beyond resolving twenty years of pain, is what exactly is a "Beloved Grand Eagle"? I get this image of a cross between a Native American elder and a Shriner -- along with the impression that such a title goes with anybody who's learned a lot about how to work through a life of chronic pain. My hats off to all BGE's. In January of this years (2020) I learned about Mind-Body Syndrome through my PT. I'd never heard of it before. Since then I've read Sarno's book (when I first encountered it, I'd dismissed all those usual promises much as Alan Gordon had, as described in his Pain Recovery Program). I'm also working through Schubiner's book, Unlearn Your Pain, which I bought on the strength of his calming presence on a YouTube video. Currently, I keep cycling through Alan's program, a kind of "brain-washing" approach in the most positive sense of that term. I picture myself bathing my little brain, as if I were that brain character in the charming cartoons scattered among that program. Over the weeks, I've been reading posts, learning my around this labyrinthine site, and I finally feel ready to pitch in. I appreciate what people have to share. I see my own circumstances in every phase of this difficult journey, from depression and despair to new insights, promising outcomes, and hope. I love this theory of the Mind-Body connection, how healing the body heals the whole self. What a two-fer! Even if the pain doesn't go away all of "meta-pain" will, for sure, all of the pain-about-pain," and so I'm going to hurt less. What a bargain! I just copied and pasted ACE1's 29 pointers and am finding them helpful (which Collie, a GBE, recommends in the thread "Just Beginning Your Healing Journey." I've also found Dan Buglio, who has a very positive and thoughtful YouTube site (Pain Free You) with lots of uplifting 20 minute talks made in his wooded backyard. He provides free access to some helpful assessments. So these are my resources in the very early stages of moving into this.

I'm 61. I've dealt with intermittent low-back pain for most of my adult life, as well as some frustrating nerve pain in the ball of my right foot. Going out for a simple walk can be like carrying a bit of electric fence in my shoe. I have yet to learn how to un-obsess from all of this, change my "mindset" as Buglio puts it. To turn from all of the "structural" solutions -- and I've tried so, so many of them, and spent so much. The un-obsessing is what I have to learn. This and dealing with the intense fear of back pain. Fear and obsession. I'm still very much in the Matrix (Alan's metaphor, a great one), and it's cool to see that I have some viable options to explore. I suppose this program is something like the Blue Pill.

Anyway, SHT (in the title of my thread) means Superior Hiking Trail. This is a 300 mile backpacking trail that goes from south of Duluth, Minnesota and up along Minnesota's Saw Tooth Ridge to the Canadian Border. I intend to hike it. I'll commit to that here--foot pain and back pain, anxiety--the full "Catastrophe" (Kabat-Zinn). The trail, of course, is a metaphor for figuring all of this out. So already I'm hiking. Glad to be here. Gratitude for what everybody else has already put down. It really helps. Keep going.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Northwood, and Welcome!

It seems you're already well educated and engaged here. I am glad for you. 1000s have come through this process and are just fine. There is no reason you won't be successful.

Learning to unobsess! I guess that is a deep and fruitful path for any human. Good luck in your journey.

Even if the pain doesn't go away all of "meta-pain" will, for sure, all of the pain-about-pain," and so I'm going to hurt less.[/QUOTE]

I suppose losing much of the "meta-pain" is partly what you're called to in the unobsessing...

I read your sentence differently at first and so I'll tell you what I was thinking: I think it is helpful to focus on your growth, understanding (perhaps as you go through a program like the SEP or Dr. Schubiner's book), versus trying to "get better." Try to take confidence and have patience that as you engage the processes, your insights and learning will undo the "syndrome" in their own way and time.

Learning about your obsessing, the "pain" it causes, and learning skillful practices in this realm, for instance, is its own reward. So is feeling more. So is loving yourself more. So is having clearer boundaries in your life. Whatever places your inquiry in this work take you, there will be a deepening right along with the healing. Enjoy this!

nowa likes this.
  3. Northwood

Hi, Andy,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your taking the time to connect. I am seeing the wider benefits connected to this healing process (the spiritual growth that accompanies the practical steps toward eliminating my pain symptoms). For me, connecting to other people on this journey--the right sort of people--is essential. Your affirmation and advice has helped make this day a good one.

Best to you!

nowa and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

but what is a Grand Eagle?

5. Okcowgirl

Okcowgirl Peer Supporter

HA! Yes, the question has been asked, now we MUST know lol. :p

TG957 likes this.
  6. Northwood

Well, Grasshopper, (remember that old show, Kung Fu?) the true and full meaning will come clear to you spontaneously once you have resolved your pain. It's waiting inside of your right now, in your Success Story.

7. Okcowgirl

Okcowgirl Peer Supporter

Ohhhh. yes now that you mention it, I can FEEL it....yes, there it is. In my wingtips . Can't wait to unfurl them as a full Grand Eagle and I will be Beloved dancea

TG957 and nowa like this.
  8. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I Believe it's something to do with how many posts you have made, or something like that. I am glad when they designed the forum layout that they chose that over "Know-it-all-old fart"....

9. Okcowgirl

Okcowgirl Peer Supporter

Yes thank goodness Baseball 65, Good one lol :p:D I have seen you on a lot of pages responding to newbies and helping out. Kudos wavea

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    BloodMoon, Baseball65 and nowa like this.
  10. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

What a great question! I myself was wondering what it takes to earn this kind of distinction? Whoever wrote that software which powers this website, created an elaborate algorithm to bestow it upon those who, using @Northwood 's metaphor, has travelled the SHT of TMS.

So, as an avid hiker, these are my thoughts:

It is not the length of the trail, as some without this title spent years traveling the ups and downs of TMS. It is not the number of nights under the stars on the trail, as others achieved an impressive count of posts here. Oh, maybe, it is some perceived hiker's wisdom - knowledge of the best camping sites, best places to pump water from a creek or ability to find a mosquito-free zone to take a mid-day break?

Whatever it is, the title still does not make you a super human. You are still likely to get pains here and there or wake up from an anxiety attack in the middle of the night. Not sure if any of the above makes you "beloved", but what makes you truly "grand" is that you know who to ask about your new and never experienced before symptoms. :)

11. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

5 gold stars to @TG957 ! In addition to her well-earned BGE title :D

12. Lonewolfbunny

Lonewolfbunny Peer Supporter

When I first came to this site...I was so full of anxiety...so just skimming and not really 'reading' properly and I thought someone had called themselves "beloved grand eagle" on purpose lol...not gonna lie...thought they were being a wee bit pompous for a sec.

nowa, TG957 and Baseball65 like this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

@Baseball65 actually got it right - it's a software algorithm based on an obscure point system set up at the beginning of time (that would be 2012). Combination of posts and likes.

nowa, TG957, Baseball65 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Lonewolfbunny

I love the title now that I understand what it is...just made me giggle in retospect because I thought it was someones chosen name...and I had to laugh at myself not realizing my mistake at the time. Well earned distinction!

nowa and JanAtheCPA like this.
  15. TG957

This is hilarious! I got a great laugh out of it!

Okcowgirl and nowa like this.
  16. TG957

And now the key question: why Eagle? And I get your point, @Baseball65 , but there are so many possibilities besides "eagle" and "Know-it-all-old fart"!;)

Baseball65 and nowa like this.
  17. Lonewolfbunny

Well...beloved "turkey vulture" or "canada goose" is not as cool

nowa and TG957 like this.
  18. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm an early bird and a night owl. So I'm wise and I have worms. -michael scott

TG957, Okcowgirl and nowa like this.