1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS + real injury

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by D. R. Martin, Jun 25, 2013.

1. D. R. Martin

D. R. Martin Peer Supporter

I've had TMS going in my knees, hands, & wrists for a few months now. Last week I twisted an ankle on a walk, and it's not exactly mending up; more pain now than a earlier. A fairly mild sprain, I'd say. I had some TMS in the ankles, too, that came and went. How do you distinguish pain from the injury from TMS pain? What's the best strategy to mend up the ankle, without giving in to TMS?

2. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Hi DR.
    I think that if the pain is from an obvious source, like a twisted ankle, I'm lenient with it, and give the body time to heal. Once past a reasonable time frame, I start talking to my subconscious and giving it heck. Then I challenge the pain to "do its worst" and move on to thinking of something else. That's a formula that I've had some success with.
    It is true that TMS is often expressed at the site of previous injury, so the brain is fooled into believing it's real.
    Hang in there!

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with Gigi. With something acute such as a twisted ankle, it is wise to give it time to heal. Staying off it for a few days won't make you go backwards in your TMS recovery.