1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS practitioner in the UK?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by vvill, Mar 3, 2018.

1. vvill

vvill New Member

Hi, I'm looking for someone in the UK with a strong knowledge of TMS and who runs treatments. I'm sure that this is what is happening with me as I can feel the pain decrease when I pay attention to emotions but feel like I want some help so I can be done with it, as I've now had it since I was 20 (I'm 25 now). Can anyone get me in contact with anyone?

Thanks,

Will

andy64tms likes this.
  2. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Hi Will

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

andy64tms likes this.
  3. vvill

vvill New Member

I live in Kent but can go to London easily

andy64tms likes this.
  4. colls100

colls100 Well known member

5. Huckleberry

Ok.

I saw a guy called Matt Kinal who is based in Bristol. There are a few practitioners in the UK now who come under the SIRPA group. I’m sure the website should be able to highlight someone as close to you as possible.

http://www.sirpauk.com/ (SIRPA UK)

andy64tms likes this.
  6. vvill

vvill New Member

Thank you, I'll have a look through them and get in contact with someone

andy64tms likes this.
  7. Huckleberry

No worries.

I’m intrigued however as most newcomers post with a litany of their physical symptoms with an in depth explanation of them...obviously showing they are stuck in the physical mindset. You seem to be quite confident that you have TMS and have what appears to be quite a methodical mindset in how to overcome it. Feel free if you want to share your story etc as there are loads of people on here who may be able to help and/or guide you further.

andy64tms likes this.
  8. vvill

vvill New Member

Yes, I am confident in the diagnosis because I have seen it work in myself numerous times but can't help slipping back and/or not sticking at it long enough. Okay thanks, I might do that. Where would I do this and how does sharing the story lead to further help and guidance?

andy64tms likes this.
  9. Huckleberry

You could just do an introductory post in the support forum. It’s totally up to you of course.

It’s great you have confidence in the diagnosis as this is the main stumbling block for those of us (myself included) who do struggle.

When I suggested sharing your story this was purely because it could lead to people who have had similar physical symptoms and similar struggles moving forward etc being able to suggest what worked for them. What many people also find, though your faith in the diagnosis may make this less relevant, is that finding people who have been through similar and recovered gives them hope moving forward.

Good luck. :)

andy64tms likes this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome, @vvill. SIRPA, under the leadership of Georgie Oldfield, is a great resource for finding a practitioner in the UK that we don't have here in the States, but Huckleberry makes a good point that many of us are self-diagnosed and never saw a practitioner. We have two free resources right here that might help you: the Structured Educational Program, on tmswiki.org, and Alan Gordon's Pain Recovery Program here on the forum. I did the SEP back in 2011 and still use techniques I learned to stay on track and deal with flare-ups.

andy64tms likes this.
  11. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi vvill, Hi all,

Welcome, I am intrigued also to see such open awareness in someone so young, I am 70 this year, and from the UK now living in California.

Not wanting to repeat what others have said, I offer these ideas how sharing in fact helps, you said: “Where would I do this and how does sharing the story lead to further help and guidance?”

The concepts of all self help groups are based on the sharing of ideas. Indeed the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous was the start of many self help groups based on the twelve step program.

“You are not alone” therapy combined with friendship and love for other beings has helped millions. The sharing and receiving of problems in particular on a website such as this provides an anonymous forum where you are more likely to say what you feel in comfort.

Hearing opposing opinions is paramount to making a choice to your personal recovery. Our TMS shields are never the same for each of us and neither are the cures.

In addition the action of creating a “post”, in effect re affirms what your own views really are, as feedback on what you have said changes your view point little by little.

From the year 2000 to 2011 I was alone and then discovered forums, I recently moved from the TMS Help under my same name. Don’t be alone join us.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Lizzy and JanAtheCPA like this.
  12. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

I seen one in the UK but only had the one session. If you feel the need to get checked out to confirm the diagnosis then I would as this can be a big help and was with me. I needed to know that there was nothing physically wrong with my lower back and shoulders.

Before signing up to anything else after, I would try the FREE Alan Gordon Pain Recovery Program on here first.

good luck

andy64tms likes this.