1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS original cause, but now muscle tightness / weakness also contribute?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Heinrich, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Heinrich

Heinrich New Member

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

First of all, I would seriously not listen to something a physical therapist told you. They are LOOKING for physical causes so that is what they will find. I had a physical therapist tell me my foot had "short tendons" (whatever that means!) and that I would no longer be able to take long walks or run. A total crock. And this was someone I really liked and trusted!

You should also read some of the RSI success stories. Forest and HilaryN both have good ones. I think you'll see parallels in them with your own story.

3. Sheree

Sheree Well known member

Heinrich, from what I know of TMS I would say that the muscle pain is all part of it. In my own case I feel that living with pain causes anxiety and then the muscles in turn get tense. It is very hard to break the cycle, but take hope from the success stories on this site. That is what keeps me going. Good luck.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Henrich - It is always difficult to say if something is or is not TMS. We are not doctors, so we can't comment on your particular issue. However, TMS does effect muscles (that is where the myositis comes from), and could be behind all of your symptoms. The one question that I would ask is what causes the tightening and weak muscles.

It is important to remember that our bodies have an amazing ability to heal themselves. Even a broken leg will heal in about 6 months. Take a look at the Louisville basketball player Kevin Ware. He had a gruesome leg injury, and will be back to playing full contact in under a year. Whatever structural condition that you have, it should heal in time. When symptoms continue to persist then it is likely TMS is at play. The first part is always to learn about TMS, and to continue to read. The more confidence you can gain in yourself an the diagnosis, the more progress you will make.