1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS or horrible chairs????

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by KateK, Sep 4, 2019.

1. KateK

KateK New Member

Hi all,

I am a college student going on my fourth year. This year, the hard plastic chairs are KILLING my spine. It hurts from my tailbone to my skull. I'm using the TMS skills and it's not subsiding. I know it is likely TMS because well I'm just getting back from taking a semester off because my chronic pain was so severe so my brain probably really wants me to not be in class and wants to distract me with pain.

My question is, would it be reinforcing the pain in my spine to buy a cushion made to take pressure off of my spine while sitting? I'm in classes sitting for 8 hours a day twice a week and need to solve this because I can't focus it hurts so badly.

Any and all suggestions welcome, thank you!!!

- Kate

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. That would be conceding. That would be keeping yourself strongly focused on the physical

There is No chair that causes pain. We all went through a part of our development where we had to dispense with the supports and special 'back' stuff. It is all BS. You could sit on a 2x12 plank all day long and it would NOT hurt your spine. That is almost certainly a conditioned response. Sitting is the second most benign activity we do (after laying down).

No chair causes pain. Period

KateK likes this.
  3. JV63

JV63 Peer Supporter

I’m going through something similar with the purchase of a new car. The seats are hurting my back but it’s not the seats. I had the same exact symptoms 5 years ago after buying a new car. Got over it and that car was great for those 5 years. The seats didn’t change.

I thought of getting a cushion just last night but I knew better and said no to my brain. I am not giving in to the illusion of “bad seats” causing back pain.

You need to distract yourself because I’m sure you are more focused on the next time you have to sit in class rather than the class itself. I have been more focused on the next time I have to drive the car than the enjoyment of driving an awesome car. So I will not get a cushion but rather find ways to distract myself.

If my back was that fragile I wouldn’t have changed a tire on my daughter’s Jeep Wrangler last night. Those are big heavy tires and I changed one pain free. I was distracted by the task and forgot about my back.

Read some more Sarno of necessary. You can do this. Enjoy the class and forget about the chair. I know first hand it’s easier said than done but have to fight through it. Picture what taking these classes will get you when you’re done and how much more fun and money you will have.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    Tennis Tom and KateK like this.
  4. nathanparson

nathanparson Newcomer

I know this is an old forum, but I think this problem was actually 10 years ago, and it is relevant now, because even places in college, school, university are not convenient to spend so much time on them. I would agree that every classroom doesn't matter, high school, university or college , chairs must be comfortable like an good office chair, because they are soft, and we won't worry about the back. It is very bad that no one thinks about the health of students and everyone who studies in general. I think it will be a smart investment and these chairs will last for years to come.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021