1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tms nerve pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Marinedad, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Marinedad

Marinedad Well known member

Who.. here suffers from this terrible pain it’s like no other pain that goes threw your body. It can really demoralize your belief in Tms ...but I know that all it is . It’s funny how you can believe in Tms when pain is not that bad and you have a couple of days of no pain then BAM you get it with a pain flare for a few days of not stop pain and your mind wants you to run to the dr emergency room or take a pain pill. But I will not give it anymore life than it already has.
    I understand this pain come from anger unconsciously buried in the deepest darkest depth of one mind..and I don’t care anymore what the reasons are I been over them and over them with Tms Therpist Drs and so on. That road is behind me ...but it still continues to bring such pain at times it drops me to my knees . It’s been 9 yrs of this pain that as took me to 100 belief in my diagnosis. There is no place to run or anymore test to take or any med to help I have done them all ..and nothing helps . I get more relief from a glass of wine than any drug I ever took . But also that as stop ✋ I only have it with a meal. Can anybody give any advice ...and believe me I had some great advice particularly from one member her ...she been a god send . Looking for anybody who has suffered this terrible case of Tms .

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Marinedad,

You wrote, "You have a couple of days of no pain". What does that tell you?? Even if you wrote "a couple of minutes with no pain", what that signifies is you are completely capable of being pain free, whether that's for one second or one century. The problem is we get in our own way! It's not that it's out of your reach, it's that you keep thinking the same chronic thoughts that are keeping you stuck and in the pain strategy.

The wine relaxes you, and dulls and distracts your brain a bit from those chronic thoughts. The truth is, you can change your thoughts. Just as your pain is temporary so are your thoughts!!

MiffyBunny

Dorado likes this.
  3. Marinedad

Yes Miffy I agree it’s just I been going around this rabbit hole for a while

4. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

Sending you a big hug. You have had pain free moments so you know it is possible. Your acceptance is the right track too. Reading, resistance just keeps fueling the TMS. Enjoy the wine and just try to take it one day at a time.

Marinedad likes this.
  5. Marinedad

Thx you for your kind words of support and Merry Xmas

6. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Marinedad,

You know so much about your situation, and how it relates to TMS practice, so I don't think what I say is new. But perhaps some guidance here for you.

We have to figure that the oscillation between pain and no/less pain is caused by triggers. Either these triggers are stimuli by some object, or body position ---like that "chair that always hurts," or "standing on concrete," or it they are psychodynamic. You have probably solved the physical triggers by now.

I encourage you to look for moment-by-moment psychological/emotional triggers. These can be very subtle. I have worked with people who know themselves very well, have natural attunement to their inner states, and this group of people begins to see that the trigger is the look someone gives them, or getting rejected by the person who is supposed to help them at the store --and needless to say much more obvious stimuli like a fight with a partner where old issues come up. Or it might be simply where your mind/emotions are going for a few minutes. Often the stimuli are about not being loved or seen. So you might make this a practice: to ask yourself what happened before the increase in pain.

I think the journey is from pain most of the time, to pain back and forth, to understanding the stimuli which creates the back and forth, and then with this understanding, a lessening of symptoms.

Andy B

tgirl and Lizzy like this.
  7. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, according to the model, that stuff is never really behind us because if it's truly repressed and unconscious we never really know if we got it so we have to keep going and digging...even when it seems boring and redundant as all hell.

I had a terrible one day relapse about two years ago. It came about two days after my then girlfriend threw a temper tantrum and a cup of coffee in my face...while I was on the way to a job estimate.
    I was 'mature' .. I didn't even respond. And one evening I spasmed out worse than I ever was pre-sarno (or as bad)

I 'knew' it was because of her and her cup of coffee BUT I had to get out some paper, the Book "healing Back Pain' and do a page-by-page full blown review. I always read the text (which triggers connections and insights) and scribble down NEW things and changes surrounding the 'old' me that hasn't changed a whole bunch on the inside.

also... we are around the Holidays and that triggers TONS of old crap/memories/stuff in everybody... but In us 'recovered' people it often catches us offguard because we think we already addressed it.

I caught myself getting a taste of sciatica the other day. Than I went home and scribbled. I am taking care of my dying Mom, supporting my GF through her job changes and other issues, My new crew is not moving as fast as I would like them to be and My sons are both leaning on me for outside stuff. My Brother is off partying and not helping with Mom and (ouch) Oh yeah... I'm still me. I got it under control (ouch)

So I go back to day one page one...and it's gone. again

peace

8. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

I endorse what Baseball65 said. What he does to treat a TMS episode is the exact method Sarno laid out in my favorite passage in Healing Back Pain:

"The cultural imperatives of family and society provide strong motivation not to show anger; this becomes deeply imbedded, starting as it does in early childhood. We realize, all unconsciously, that anger is often inappropriate, springing from irritants which ought not to make us angry, and so we repress. . . . All of this is unconscious and thus we are unaware of our need to repress the anger. Instead we may experience a physical symptom, TMS or something gastrointestinal, for example. I do that a lot. I have learned that heartburn means that I'm angry about something and don't know it. So I think about what might be causing the condition, and when I come up with the answer the heartburn disappears. It is remarkable how well buried the anger usually is. Generally for me it is something about which I am annoyed but have no idea how much it has angered me. Sometimes it is something that is so loaded emotionally , I don't come up with the answer for a long time." (Emphasis added.)
    This is my favorite passage because it works so well for me. My only departure from Baseball65 is that I don't write anything down. I just think about what annoyance/irritation in my personal relationships might be causing the condition. After years of doing this, I have gotten pretty good at it; I usually come up with the answer quickly--as seems to be the case with Baseball65. I am talking 100% relief like Sarno got and Baseball65 gets. It saddens me that so many readers of Sarno seem (to me at least) to gloss over how he treated his own TMS equivalent of heartburn. Finally, I will add that Sarno was even more succinct in a 1994 interview: "Know about the anger, and know why it’s there. And if you do those two things, your pain will go away.”

tgirl and Tennis Tom like this.
  9. Marinedad

Thx you kennie and you also have. Happy holiday

10. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

Just wondering how your holiday was Marinedad?

11. Marinedad

It was ok no big pressures and yourself

12. keenie82

keenie82 Peer Supporter

We had a very nice holiday with my in-laws though I did have an anxiety flare, from taking too much THC/CBD oil. It was terrible. I shook uncontrollably for 3 hours. I am still trying to recover from that experience, so my anxiety has been heightened. I also upped my anti-depressant and am waiting for that to kick in.

13. Marinedad

Sorry to hear all that but know how you feel our sensitived nervous system can get turned up...

I found only med that helps me when I get like that is klonpin been threw all meds nothing did anything but make me sick including cbd oil ..smoking grass is ok but stopped that . A .25 or .50 helps me calm down so I can do the emotional work .

14. srton

srton Well known member

baseball65 - thank you for the tip to pick up one of Sarno's books and take notes. I'm doing it right now. I've already read some things about the numb tingling sensations and feel better about them having read Sarno say that it's all normal.
    I'm also going to make a list of my stressors.
    THANK YOU.

15. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Marinedad, :)
    I just want to add it’s been over 8 years for me. This past year I finally saw the most pain reductions. I guess for me it takes longer! I’m personally ok with taking something like ssri or low dose klonopin if that is a booster to kicking the pain cycle. I’m thinking of you and hoping you get the relief you deserve.

16. Marinedad

Thx you I am glad that you are starting to turn the corner on your Tms ...we need to stay strong because recovery could be tomorrow

stayfit65 likes this.
  17. srton

srton Well known member

18. Marinedad

Yes these are good listen to them years ago