1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS is not about deeply repressed emotions

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by RikR, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

I am sure I am not the only one confused buy the divergent paths taught to recover from TMS. This video makes really good sense but to my thoughts it is not in alignment with Sarno and many other authors.

I appreciate your thoughts!!

fredb and gailnyc like this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

But those daily repressive behavior patterns are composed of implicit memories formed during childhood before our egos coalesced. I agree with Monte that you have to address those repressive patterns as they operate in the here and now. Just going back and having a primal scream - no matter how emotionally satisfying - won't change those underlying patterns. I do think that the compassion one experiences at the end of a successful ISTDP session is a big step toward dealing with patterns of emotional repression that are going on in your life day in day out. People do love to play at being amateur psycho-archeologists, and that isn't going to lead to reprogramming your emotionally repressive coping styles in the here and now.

I noticed that Bob Evans tailors his therapeutic approaches to the needs of the individual TMS patient:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/members/dr-bob-evans.1201/

As Evans notes, the key is remaining flexible. Goodist and perfectionist traits may have developed long ago in response to traumatic early childhood events, but stopping acting on those traits must occur in the present moment. What's that that T.S. Eliot says: "If all time is eternally present, all time is irredeemable"? It's only in the "still moment at the heart of the turning world" that real salvation occurs, at least according to Eliot. It seems to me that Schubiner will work for some TMS patients, while Monte will work for others. Best to have an eclectic group of approaches to recovery in your TMS toolbox.

driffy, veronica73 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Like with any other discipline there are several slightly different approaches to TMS, but I don't know if I would say Monte diverts all that much from Dr. Sarno. As MorComm mentioned why we have repressive behavior patterns is a direct result to memories of childhood. Sarno describes TMS as being caused by 1/3 childhood, 1/3 present stress, and 1/3 personality, but these things are not seperate. They are all part of the same beaker. I think Monte's point is that we need to understand how our childhood effects our reactions today. Rarely due people have a deeply repressed memory. It is more about understanding how your childhood developed your personality (goodism and perfectionism), and how your personality responds to current stresses. These three factors all merge together in the present. Another great thread about this is Seeking the Grail by Steve Ozanich.

Bitzalel Brown, driffy and veronica73 like this.
  4. RikR

RikR Well known member

MorComm - love the term: psycho-archeology

MorComm likes this.
  5. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Rik, thank you for posting. I found that very interesting. You're right--it diverges quite a bit from Sarno. He is saying that just knowing about and accepting TMS will not necessarily help you. Sarno says you don't have to make any changes in your behavior, Monte is saying you do. Interesting.

6. RikR

RikR Well known member

Gail

What I am leaning is that going back into past trauma serves us only as much as it allows us to see how and why our personalities developed that create internal stress and a lifestyle of friction.

Many psychotherapies over the years attempted to guide a patient to the big catharsis and then recovery...only they never worked...well they worked to buy the therapist a new Mercedes.

Like I said in another post: Primal Scream, Freudian psychotherapy and Rebirthing are in a closet somewhere behind Hula-Hoops and 8-track tapes.

So my path for now is to discover all the behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that engender internal stress and send the limbic brain into high arousal. In as much as regressive introspection helps I will do it within limits – I am not going to wallow in old psychic mud just for the sake of feeling it all over again

EricMd likes this.
  7. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

I did not perceive him as dumping Sarno at all. Funny how we all see things differently :) but that's what makes the world go round - diversity of opinion and thought is a good thing to me.

I purchased Monte's book and meditations about a year ago. I felt his reference of TMS to the present moment is really an important point to make about our healing process. I think Monte has some really good input. As Forest says here, too, Dr. Sarno refers to the 1/3 childhood, 1/3 personality, 1/3 environment theory. Our inner child has much to do with this condition. I also think it's who we are "in the moment", every moment, that makes us who we are.

Eckhart Tolle focusses on the them of being in the NOW. A must read for us TMS'ers.

Also, Neale Donald Walsh, who wrote the Conversations With God series also wrote a less known book entitled, When Everything Changes, Change Everything. An excellent read with some very thought provoking insights. He writes quite a bit about the current life triggers that cause us to process the event based on childhood experiences and developed beliefs; our subconscious mind reflects back into the past when experiencing something NOW, which causes negative perceptions that are rooted in the PAST to manifest in the mind (and body with TMS).

Thanks for showing Monte's video. I rather like his philosophies. Maybe others here would too.

CAC1977 and Tim S. Serenity like this.
  8. Hopeful818

Hopeful818 Peer Supporter

Just when you thought you were getting hang of this as a newcomer then this video pops up and completely throws you off your journey.
    I feel as though we must focus on childhood memories to understand why we are the way we are today or how that impacted our attitude /behavior today. I agree with this guy that repressed emotions from 20 years ago is not the cause of your pain now but it certainly involved a chain of events to get you where you are today. However, Im not sure if only being aware and not making changes is enough to heal as Sarno suggests. At that end I agree that we must lean how to change our day to day behavior.

Smiler56, Notters_1983 and BruceMC like this.
  9. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, it agree that changing emotional behaviors in the here and now is the key, not going back down memory row and uncovering whatever emotionally traumatic event set you up for TMS. You can keep doing that forever and never unravel the knot.

Hopeful818 likes this.
  10. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

11. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

Dear Hopeful
    I totally agree with YOU.
    Tell you all a short story (save the long story for another time lol).
    About 3 yrs ago I had crippling spasms all over my body...thought I had m.s.
    Fast fwd...went top docs and after every test possible had a top neurologist tell me "it's quite possible this emotionally induced as a your tests are perfect".
    I had not yet discovered Dr. Sarno...but I'm weird twist (or was it?) I passed an Indigo on way home and spotted The Divided Mind.
    I read it over and over again and in two minths mysmy were gone...I recalled and wrote about my pent up rage from horrific family life.
    I know what Rik means...as in The Power of Now....yes wejwe needlneed to trybtry andmand redirectyredirect thecthe neuropathwsyssneuropathwsys toito stop theathe current symptoms from getting worse however..we MUST ...as the brilliant and wonderful Dr. Sarno says...address the pent up rage (if we don't it's like trying to paint a rusty old car with coats of new paint and thinking the end product will be great...it won't...you have to fix the old rusted then sand ..push..THEN apply new paint!)
    Just my thoughts....as yes...everyone has insightful I do so it's very interesting!
    Peace.

Hopeful818 likes this.
  12. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

13. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

Sorry for typos (darn phones)

14. Rene100

Rene100 Peer Supporter

As per dr Sarnia discovery...it is repressed rage from ANY time in purife that causes TMS...that is his discovery...thank you..the late/great Dr. Sarno!!!

15. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

I think recovery or healing isn't a one modality application. I think it's kind of an order of operations so to speak. For myself I can relate very much to what Monte says HOWEVER, it would not have been appropriate to apply those ideas in the early stages of TMS for me - no way. Secondly, and I dont mean to undermine this information but it sounds like he is describing CBT. CBT or ACT is very effective way to address anxiety, OCD, stress etc but when you're in the throws of horrible TMS pain, for me, it didn't work until I had done all the Sarno, Schubiner, Gordon work and some Somatic Experiencing first! At the moment I am doing ACT for the residual pain than is generated because of Anxiety and OCD - so I'm disagreeing with Monte it's just that one needs to know when it is appropriate to apply it in their stage of healing.

I do disagree that when Monte says we are not experiencing pain now because of something that happened years ago - i dont think it's entirely true. I think it makes sense that literally we aren't experiencing pain now due to something that happened years ago but I would say that we have learned behaviors (good or bad) as coping mechanisms for things that happened in the past and they are on autopilot for things happening now. Hence the connection of the past to now. This seems like it would make sense to change thought and behaviour patterns which is the root of CBT disordered thinking and behaving.

Cap'n Spanky likes this.