1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this link: http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram
    Dismiss Notice

TMS is not about deeply repressed emotions

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by RikR, Feb 24, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

I am sure I am not the only one confused buy the divergent paths taught to recover from TMS. This video makes really good sense but to my thoughts it is not in alignment with Sarno and many other authors.

I appreciate your thoughts!!

gailnyc likes this.
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

But those daily repressive behavior patterns are composed of implicit memories formed during childhood before our egos coalesced. I agree with Monte that you have to address those repressive patterns as they operate in the here and now. Just going back and having a primal scream - no matter how emotionally satisfying - won't change those underlying patterns. I do think that the compassion one experiences at the end of a successful ISTDP session is a big step toward dealing with patterns of emotional repression that are going on in your life day in day out. People do love to play at being amateur psycho-archeologists, and that isn't going to lead to reprogramming your emotionally repressive coping styles in the here and now.

I noticed that Bob Evans tailors his therapeutic approaches to the needs of the individual TMS patient:

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/members/dr-bob-evans.1201/

As Evans notes, the key is remaining flexible. Goodist and perfectionist traits may have developed long ago in response to traumatic early childhood events, but stopping acting on those traits must occur in the present moment. What's that that T.S. Eliot says: "If all time is eternally present, all time is irredeemable"? It's only in the "still moment at the heart of the turning world" that real salvation occurs, at least according to Eliot. It seems to me that Schubiner will work for some TMS patients, while Monte will work for others. Best to have an eclectic group of approaches to recovery in your TMS toolbox.

driffy, veronica73 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Like with any other discipline there are several slightly different approaches to TMS, but I don't know if I would say Monte diverts all that much from Dr. Sarno. As MorComm mentioned why we have repressive behavior patterns is a direct result to memories of childhood. Sarno describes TMS as being caused by 1/3 childhood, 1/3 present stress, and 1/3 personality, but these things are not seperate. They are all part of the same beaker. I think Monte's point is that we need to understand how our childhood effects our reactions today. Rarely due people have a deeply repressed memory. It is more about understanding how your childhood developed your personality (goodism and perfectionism), and how your personality responds to current stresses. These three factors all merge together in the present. Another great thread about this is Seeking the Grail by Steve Ozanich.

driffy and veronica73 like this.
  4. RikR

RikR Well known member

MorComm - love the term: psycho-archeology

MorComm likes this.
  5. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Rik, thank you for posting. I found that very interesting. You're right--it diverges quite a bit from Sarno. He is saying that just knowing about and accepting TMS will not necessarily help you. Sarno says you don't have to make any changes in your behavior, Monte is saying you do. Interesting.

6. RikR

RikR Well known member

Gail

What I am leaning is that going back into past trauma serves us only as much as it allows us to see how and why our personalities developed that create internal stress and a lifestyle of friction.

Many psychotherapies over the years attempted to guide a patient to the big catharsis and then recovery...only they never worked...well they worked to buy the therapist a new Mercedes.

Like I said in another post: Primal Scream, Freudian psychotherapy and Rebirthing are in a closet somewhere behind Hula-Hoops and 8-track tapes.

So my path for now is to discover all the behaviors, attitudes and beliefs that engender internal stress and send the limbic brain into high arousal. In as much as regressive introspection helps I will do it within limits – I am not going to wallow in old psychic mud just for the sake of feeling it all over again

EricMd likes this.
  7. Dear Lianne

Dear Lianne Peer Supporter

I did not perceive him as dumping Sarno at all. Funny how we all see things differently :) but that's what makes the world go round - diversity of opinion and thought is a good thing to me.

I purchased Monte's book and meditations about a year ago. I felt his reference of TMS to the present moment is really an important point to make about our healing process. I think Monte has some really good input. As Forest says here, too, Dr. Sarno refers to the 1/3 childhood, 1/3 personality, 1/3 environment theory. Our inner child has much to do with this condition. I also think it's who we are "in the moment", every moment, that makes us who we are.

Eckhart Tolle focusses on the them of being in the NOW. A must read for us TMS'ers.

Also, Neale Donald Walsh, who wrote the Conversations With God series also wrote a less known book entitled, When Everything Changes, Change Everything. An excellent read with some very thought provoking insights. He writes quite a bit about the current life triggers that cause us to process the event based on childhood experiences and developed beliefs; our subconscious mind reflects back into the past when experiencing something NOW, which causes negative perceptions that are rooted in the PAST to manifest in the mind (and body with TMS).

Thanks for showing Monte's video. I rather like his philosophies. Maybe others here would too.