1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS if the pain never goes away?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by laneinpain, Jan 11, 2021.

1. laneinpain

laneinpain New Member

I read that a good indicator for TMS is if the pain comes and goes or if the pain moves around in the body.

However, my pain (severe dry eyes and chronic inflammation) never goes away and it doesn't move around in my body (although I believe I have other TMS-esque symptoms that come and go, like seasonal allergies and sinus infections).

Could pain that is constant and seemingly-permanent still be considered TMS? My eye pain varies in intensity, but it is always there.

2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes. Plenty of people have seemingly permanent symptoms, such as Steve Ozanich whose left leg eventually became paralyzed for nine months without a single break. All TMS/the mind-body connection.

My old biofeedback therapist worked with a woman who would go blind for long periods of time after stress - there was never any relief until she was able to consistently complete the therapy techniques. For her, that’s what worked.

Plenty of people have dealt with unrelenting CRPS, frozen shoulder, and many other chronic issues, only to resolve them through mind-body work.

On a related note, one major thing that tripped me up was that a few of my worst symptoms sometimes went away when I was angry, yet came back when I felt “fine.” I was convinced this meant I didn’t have TMS... yet it was. I didn’t always follow the standard “symptoms only ever show up when you’re upset” process. I now understand that going outside of the so-called standard process is not uncommon, and it is okay.

We’re all different. Our bodies don’t respond to powerful emotions the same way, which is why some of the advice regarding TMS/the mind-connection can miss the mark considerably.

laneinpain likes this.
  3. laneinpain

laneinpain New Member

Thank you for your response! That makes a lot of sense to me. There isn't a standard formula for what constitutes TMS and I shouldn't compare my symptoms to those of another because we're all different.

Dorado likes this.