1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS, Cluster C Personality Disorder & SSRI

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shajarcito, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Shajarcito

Shajarcito Peer Supporter

Hello again,

As most of you are already familiar with my case I would just put my background in short: I'm a 35 years old guy, suffering from about one year of multiple symptoms, from muscle stiffness, weakness and pain in my upper body and shoulders to fatigue, anxiety, obsessive thoughts and dizziness. All medical tests came back clear. After officially diagnosed with CFS I met with a local psychiatrist (my psychologist recommended me to). He diagnosed me as a "cluster C personality with anxiety and somatization disorder". He suggested putting me on SSRI/SNRI to better deal with my issues.

I have already made quite a progress wih my TMS during the last months and I'm a bit better, especially in terms of mood & energy. I'm on the SEP here (now in the middle of the program), have read Sarno's first book and convinced TMS is my case. However, I'm still struggling with going back into physical activities (see my last post). I also have some bad days, flare-ups of symptoms and anxiety episodes. I'm aware it is part of the recovery process and I'm also aware to the "overthinking" part of my TMS personality, as mentioned before by JanAtheCPA. Nonetheless this time I believe the psychiatric diagnosis and the suggested SSRI treatment are crucial issues to discuss and not necessarily a distractive form of "thinking too much".

So first of all I would like to ask you folks about my recent psychiatric diagnosis and whether and how the "cluster C personality" relates to TMS?

It’s a bit frustrating as it seems like a big thing to change. Thanks to my journaling I have noticed that indeed "cluster c emotions" such as fear of rejection or criticism, avoidance in romantic relationships and OCD are dominant parts of my TMS biography.

I would also welcome any advice whether to start a SSRI/SRNI therapy while being in the middle of TMS program. I'm particularly afraid of the reduction of sexual desire side-effect, which is very common among SSRI users. I read some previous threads here in this forum about the issue but I would welcome your comments, regarding my particular story.

Thanks in advance

2. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Your psychiatric diagnosis and your TMS are two sides of the same coin. Reduction in physical symptoms may cause increases in depression, anxiety and emotional problems. If you are able to address your inner conflicts and stabilize your nervous system, the rest of healing will happen. There are no magic pills. You have to do the work, and it is not easy.

Boston Redsox and Shajarcito like this.
  3. Shajarcito

Thanks for your reply,
    I talked about the "cluster C emotions" as they were even before my recent improvement (most of them caused last years' symptoms),
    and in-fact they are with me since my 20's (though without causing symptoms).
    This is what "personality problem" is all about isn't it?
    So I wondered whether personality problem is something that can be changed as with other TMS symptoms and pains?
    and what do you think about the SSRI treatment?
    Thanks again,

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am not sure what "cluster C emotions" are. We cannot change our personalities, but we can use mindbody techniques like meditation and mindfulness to alter our behavior and minimize our descend to illness. I personally focused on my anxiety problem, and as a result, my symptoms disappeared. Does it answer your question?

KittenLePurr likes this.
  5. Shajarcito

Hi,
    By Cluster C emotions I referred mainly to fear of rejection or criticism & the tendency to avoidance in romantic relationships.
    These are dominant emotions in my biography in general,
    and in terms of TMS they have caused several symptoms (including chronic pains and anxiety) during last year..
    Yes I practice mindfulness as well as journaling and it helps a bit..
    I just tried to figure out whether there are any certain techniques or mindset towards these "cluster C personality-emotions"
    Thanks once again,

6. KittenLePurr

KittenLePurr New Member

Have you heard of Kelly Brogan? She’s a holistic psychiatrist. She’s read all the research on mental illnesses and disorders and basically exploded all the theories behind them and treatments for them. I was diagnosed with major depression and anxiety disorder 22 years ago and have cured myself of them, using her books. She recommends eating basically a Paleo diet, meditating, and employing other natural self-care practices to treat the root cause of “mental illnesses” instead of taking SSRIs which just address the symptoms and, more often than you’d think, exacerbate them. I have some of the same thought patterns as you (thinking too much, fear of rejection and criticism, tendency to obsess over things, etc.) and I’m sure they’re related to TMS. I’m still working on them too. Those habits are hard to break and it takes time and diligence. But due to natural lifestyle interventions, they don't rule me or send me into depressive/panicked states anymore. I wish I’d never started on psyche meds. They are absolute HELL to get off of. I would discourage anyone and everyone from starting them. Diet alone makes an absolutely epic impact on emotional balance.
    Congrats on your progress with pain! Take care.

Shajarcito likes this.
  7. Shajarcito

Thanks for your encouraging comment!
    I don't know her but I will look out for her stuff online.

KittenLePurr likes this.
  8. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

She's a little bit of a quack to be honest ...yes she has some great approaches but and I say but with much concern ...some people need medications and they do help them get out of a dark place ...the paleo diet is a short term thing this diet ruins your body in the long run..

I am not a fan of these medications but they have there place ..so please don't minimize there importance .

9. KittenLePurr

KittenLePurr New Member

Just thought I’d offer a perspective. It’s been a great long-term thing for me and people I know, and I just wouldn’t wish the side-effects I’ve had on anyone. Medications helped me get out of a dark place in the past too. They just backfired. Do what you feel is right. Be well

10. Shajarcito

Thank you both, yea its complicated decision to make, but you both help me with that.

KittenLePurr likes this.