1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS book recommendation?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Aaricia, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Hello!

I'm looking for a good TMS book. So far I went through Dr Sarno's (of course!) Steven Ozanich, and Nicole Sachs which I highly recommend. I read as well Fred Amir Rapid recovery.

What titles were most helpful for you? I would highly appreciate your recommendations.
    Thank you!

Aaricia

2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Dr Sarno’s and Steve Ozanich’s books were enough for me on the subject of TMS. They Can’t Find Anything Wrong was also eye opening. I have read other books and listened to podcasts on mind body issues that have been interesting. The books were not TMS specific. They covered related topics such as forgiveness and shame, for instance. I just finished the audio version of When the Body Says No. Recommended.

3. Aaricia

Aaricia Peer Supporter

Thank you,
    I'll check the books out. They have really good reviews on Amazon.

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Those are enough know go live your life

Aaricia likes this.
  5. Dfw

Dfw Peer Supporter

If you need another option

Dr David Hanscom “back in control”
    He also has a FB page

Best to you

Kittyruns and hawaii_five0 like this.
  6. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Also, Unlearn Your Pain by Dr. Howard Shubiner

Aaricia likes this.
  7. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I echo the books written by Steve Ozanich and Dr. Howard Schubiner - I fully trust their guidance and have spoken to them both personally. Great and intelligent people who just get it when it comes to the mind-body connection. They really put my mind at ease and helped me relax and move on with my life after dealing with nightmare symptoms since childhood.

Kittyruns likes this.
  8. bagofwater

bagofwater Peer Supporter

I'm looking for books, audio books preferably, for and by TMSers. 80% 0f 100% of the books out there seem to focus on why traditional approaches that treat the body won't work (surgery, physical therapy, medication etc.), and to get the reader on board with the MindBody approach. I'm way past that stage. I'm a (for lack of a better term) chronic TMS relapser. Looking for new material to listen to that might help me get out of the extremely painful episodes I get from time to time.

Are there any TMS books out there For Us By Us, that don't bother dwelling on selling me on the concept? The MindBody Prescription is the best for this that I have, but most of it is still irrelevant for me at this point.

BloodMoon likes this.
  9. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I think you've identified a need. TMS theory has been around long enough for there to be a need for a kind of "second generation" book. Hmmmm......

10. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

I just saw this book today and am going to buy the kindle version https://www.amazon.com/MINDBODY-SYN...086DB49YC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8. I recently heard a podcast interview with the author, Dr Kevin Martillo Viner. He made it clear that he is a doctor but not of medicine (he's an Associate Professor of Spanish at Bronx Community College, New York) and is just someone who had TMS and managed to recover. He says he wrote the book targeted for those who don't need the theory but need help from being stuck or relapsing. He did some TMS coaching at one point and on his website he has some podcasts about his recovery from TMS and about his book https://www.thetmscoach.com. (So far I've only listened to one of them so I don't know how good/informative they all are.) Unfortunately, the book's not an audio book, but I wonder if it might otherwise fit the bill.

Here's a review of the book:

"This book provides a structured approach to TMS recovery that is as thorough as it is profound. It builds on one’s intellectual acceptance that they have TMS and insightfully articulates the journey one must take to bring knowing into being. This is a new type of TMS book that is much needed. So many books have, understandably, spent their effort trying to convince the reader that TMS is legitimate, and the conventional medical approach is off-base. But there’s a whole new generation of TMSers who get that now (thanks to the valiant efforts of Dr. Sarno, Steve Ozanich, etc.) and are still stuck. There are also various opinions and approaches now, which makes it easy to hop around trying this and that, just staying distracted. Moreover, this book confronts one of the biggest accusations folks have about TMS materials: they don't focus on WHAT TO DO. This book offers a correctly oriented & structured scaffolding for a TMS recovery approach. It's like all this reading we've been doing is undergraduate-level, whereas this book is masters-level." – Chris Lenox Smith

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
    hawaii_five0, Ellen and FredAmir like this.
  11. bagofwater

Thanks BloodMoon! Not an audiobook, but other than that it looks like exactly what I asked for - the review is essentially a reworded version of my post! I've been looking for something like this for awhile. I'll definitely buy the book and check out his podcasts. Thanks again!

BloodMoon likes this.
  12. bagofwater

I was about to say: Yes there's a need, but the audience might be too small, unfortunately, to make it worthwhile to publish. BUT, I guess I was wrong. BloodMoon's reco above appears to be just that.

13. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I know that there are coaches in the process of writing their books right now as well. I'm sure they are both close to the publishing stage.

bagofwater likes this.
  14. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am one of those tough cases for whom the "book cure" didn't work. A TMS-er with a long history of various symptoms, I traveled a long path to get out of misery. My experience, tips and advice are here:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834Q46SM

Since you don't need to convince yourself that you have TMS, you can skip first 3 chapters and begin with chapter 4 or even 5. It is written for TMS-ers, by a TMS-er.

A side note, since you are asking about the audio book: at the suggestion of my legally blind friend, I will be working on the audio version of the book. I am not expecting to make any money off it, and I can't afford hiring an actor or rent studio to do a recording, so it will be a long and painful endeavor to do it myself at my home. Once I get it done, I will update this post. More to come.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  15. Jude

Jude Peer Supporter

The book might be okay, but beware of his consultations. I did one once and he paid little attention to my situation and just gave one-size-fits-all solutions that didn't help me, but was quick to take my money.

bagofwater likes this.
  16. BloodMoon

Thankfully, no worries there as his website says that he doesn't do coaching any more. I've had some bad experiences myself with therapists/coaches and found it difficult to know whether they were purely in it for the money or they were just rubbish at coaching. (I notice that Viner wasn't trained as coach/therapist; I gather his day job is in academia.) I'm liking his book so far. I'm going to work through it slowly, but doing some glancing and skimming through it, it seems quite packed with tips and helpful suggestions for 'strugglers'. Only time will tell whether it will do the trick for me though. I'll obviously post up about it if it does!

bagofwater and Jude like this.
  17. bagofwater

Yes, I'm liking the Viner book too so far (thx again bloodmoon), but based on the podcast interviews with him a Dr. Sarno he is not, in terms being a communicator - and a coach probably. However, I do like the ideas in his book.…which are not all that different than what I do already (listening to HBP, journaling, meditation etc) but with some significant additional hints and techniques that make a lot of sense to me. Coaching would be a different, separate skill than writing I would think. Although I imagine he'd be good if you just wanted to dig down on the approaches in his book further.

Jude and BloodMoon like this.
  18. BloodMoon

You're very welcome! :) And I agree with you, he's definitely no Dr. Sarno in terms of being a verbal communicator.

Yes, without those significant additional hints and techniques, I would have been disappointed and been straight off again looking for the 'holy grail' of TMS techniques that might just 'hit the spot' for me as, although I believe in TMS, I'm not (as yet!) a success story. Viner says -- either in his book or in the podcast I listened to -- that TMS strugglers like me tend to jump from one thing to another, so he's tried to provide a structured path to follow in his book. I'm trying to be disciplined to gradually and thoroughly working my way through the book and am only allowing myself to do a few extra bits and pieces in addition to this, e.g. some somatic experiencing and vegas nerve exercises...but my 'hunter/gatherer' instincts are strong and therefore the temptation to look for 'something else' on amazon is always pulling on me!

hawaii_five0 likes this.
  19. E.Shadle

E.Shadle Newcomer

I read Steve Ozanich like the Bible for a while. Everytime you re-read it, it hits on a new level of understanding. But, I got stuck, as some of us do. I'm trying Unlearn Your Anxiety and Depression by Schubiner. Seems to be revealing a lot of little details on ways to view the fear behind the pain, and fear dealing with deeper emotions that haven't been revealed. My next one I'm excited about is The Way Out: A Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven Approach to Healing Chronic Pain by Alan Gordon and Alon Ziv. They just have a way of making sense to me, making things click, in a lighthearted way (at least through the podcast). It's on audio too!

20. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

@TG957: O. M. G. Your book is so good. I downloaded it a few hours ago and basically can't stop reading. I am on page 73 where you are just starting to explore the mind-body connections. It is like a great crime novel, I completely disagree with your disclaimer that you are "not a writer"!

Everybody on here should read this, particularly at $0.99.

I am just blown away - and comforted by - the similarities of your journey and mine, although different conditions (back/pelvis problems for me), and even other similarities - personality types, activity level, age, etc. The frustration with the traditional medical system, even if finding sympathetic doctors. The obsession with Dr Google and where that leads. The hope in finding competent and compassionate alternative help - PT, acupuncturist, massage therapist, herbal cures, etc - then the letdown when all that really doesn't help, beyond having a kind person to talk to.

I'm glad I know in advance there is a Happy Ending :) Will message you again when I'm finished.

Question: if you have not had an Aunt Gina and knew what misery she ended in, do you think your anxiety about it all would have been different and/or any of the story might have taken a different turn?

thanks
    James

miffybunny likes this.