1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS = Boiling Pot?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

I've heard the metaphor that TMS is like a boiling pot thats got too my pressure and boils over.

If we are to look at our emotions, but we have so much pressure that its now become unbearable mentally, so the body creates pain, then how are we to look at what is unbearable emotionally(likely a sum of different problems)?

2. Free of Fear

Free of Fear Well known member

It is difficult, but looking at them is what turns down the heat!

Sofa likes this.
  3. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

----------

Hi,
    in my modest opinion TMS is NOT about somatization of emotions... BUT about unconscious REPRESSION of unwanted/threatening RAGE/ANGER.
    Things, situations, people, experiences,... LIFE in general lead us to dissapointment, failure, self-deprecation, fury,....
    Our "rage reservoir" is almost full and our protective brain actives some kind of "safety valve" (pain!) in order to mantain us unaware of such huge amount of rage.
    We are busy with doctors, PT, meds, even surgeries.... and have preocupation, worry and even fear about our health: the perfect distraction !

A Texas high school has become the latest US campus to be struck by gun violence, as at least eight people lost their lives in an early-morning rampage in an art classroom.
    The unidentified gunman opened fire at Santa Fe High School just before 8am local time on Friday morning.
    At least eight people are confirmed to have died, with an unknown number of injuries.
    Obviously the gunman has not repressed his intense rage (against school, family, society, social norms, life...?) and has expressed it in the form from witch our brain is triying to protect us.

More or less ?

4. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Hello. I did not understand the takeaway point here, was confused by the term somatization in this context. ??

5. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

Freedom,
    the main issue with TMS is extreme, unbearable rage, ALL THE RAGE!!! not just the tiny proportion that we can feel, easily recognize and is acceptable by the society.
    We have to be courageous to see the huge hidden part of the iceberg.
    That is scaring because very infuriated people have devastating behaviours.
    Hope this helps!

6. skhs

skhs Peer Supporter

Looking at emotions gently and with support is a good idea, with the reason for looking at them being to gain some relief. Going in too unprepared can sometimes trigger severe pain/symptoms.