1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS as the cause of hair loss

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by shadowman, Apr 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadowman

shadowman Newcomer

Hey! I'm a 23 year old male, and I've been experiencing noticeable hair loss for the past few years.

What's interesting is that I started to experience erectile dysfunction at around the same time.

At first, I had no idea what was causing my ED. I spent years researching, trying out different things, visiting several doctors, but honestly nothing seemed to make a significant difference. (I've ruled out any hormonal and cardiovascular issues.)

After a while, I stumbled upon kegels, reverse kegels, and basically the entire concept of exercising your pelvic floor.
    I figured that I had a weak pelvic floor and thought that doing exercises would strengthen it.
    Although it did help, ED still persisted.

A story about LSD and muscle tension:
    One time, I was hanging out with a close friend and an acquaintance (my friend's friend, let's call him Dan) and we were on our way to Dan's house, which was pretty far from the place where I was residing.
    He lives in a very wide, dark and poor area of the city, and it was sorta rainy and cold outside. Prior to getting onto the first bus, we each took a tab of LSD.
    It started off okay, but when we arrived to the area where he lives, I wasn't having much fun anymore...

Now, I'm sure most of you aren't illegal drug veterans, but you may have heard of the phrase "bad trip" once or twice—I was having a mild form of a bad trip.
    I really didn't like the vibe of the area, it was nighttime, the weather wasn't good, and it was pretty far from home. I just felt unsafe.

Eventually, after walking for a while, we arrived at Dan's house.

We were finally in a warm place, and I thought I'd be able to relax for a bit. Dan sat on the computer chair, my friend sat on a sofa and I laid on Dan's bed. We were chilling for a bit, and Dan put on some chill music on his computer's speakers. As time went by, he was switching songs and eventually he played some metal.

I hate metal, and I really didn't want to listen to it while under the influence of LSD, so I kindly asked him to change the music because it was making me uncomfortable but he didn't seem to really care all that much.
    Now, he's a pretty immature guy (he didn't have many friends throughout his life), and he hasn't experienced LSD before, so I don't think he understood the amount of influence the music was having on my mood... but I was becoming angry and tense.

What's interesting about LSD is that you notice things which you wouldn't usually notice, and I realized I was having constant, annoying feeling as if there was a clenched fist in my floor (the area between your genitals and your anus).

After some attempts to relieve the feeling, I managed to make it go away and didn't think too much of it for the remainder of our "trip".

The next day, I noticing that feeling again. And it lasted all day. The next day, same thing.
    To keep it short, eventually, I came to the realization that I was having chronic tension in my pelvic floor which was obstructing the blood flow to my penis (like if you were to step on a garden hose), which caused ED.

After years of trying to figure out what was causing the tension as well as how to correct it, I can say that I'm doing much better, and am on a path to resolving it completely.

One of the main contributors to the tension was stress (repressed emotions; TMS).

Now, what's the point of this story? I wanted to say two things:
    1) I had pelvic floor tension for years and never even noticed it
    2) If pelvic floor tension can cause ED due to obstruction of blood flow, my assumption is that scalp tension can be a cause of hair loss

What's similar when it comes to my penis and my scalp is that sensitivity and overall sensation is noticeably reduced when the tension in the corresponding areas is high.

When I relax the pelvic floor muscles, my penis regains function and sensation. Similarly, when I manage to "let go" and relax my posterior upper body muscles (the erectors and suboccipitals; muscles surrounding the spine and muscles at the base of the skull), my scalp would also regain sesnsation. When they're not relaxed, I can barely feel a difference when something is hot/cold, I can't feel the wind etc. The entire area just feels pretty numb and like there's obstruction of blood flow. My face is also numb and pale whenever these muscles are tight.

I actually only noticed it was numb once I managed to regain sensation in it on one occasion, where I was feeling pretty relaxed and then did a guided progressive muscle relaxation meditation. After finishing the meditation, I laid on my side and noticed that I was actually feeling my nose and lips press against the pillow as well as air flowing by the top of my head. (I don't know what you call it in English, but when you have windows open on both sides of the apartment and it creates air flow)

We all know that lack of blood flow is a cause of hair loss, and we know that TMS can cause restriction of blood flow, so I don't think it'd be too wild to assume that TMS can be causing hair loss. I haven't seen anything about this on the internet, so I thought I would post here and see what you think. Is my theory crazy?!

If you read this far, I want to thank you for your time because I'm a really bad writer and you still gave me a chance, haha. I would love to hear your opinion, thanks everyone!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting experiences, @shadowman!

I feel like I posted this somewhere on the forum, but here it is again - this time it's related to the pandemic, but it's been well-known for a long time that stress can result in hair loss: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/style/hair-loss-coronavirus-pandemic.html (You’re Not Imagining It: The Pandemic Is Making Your Hair Fall Out)

It might not be so much oxygen deprivation as it is the effect that long-term stress is known to have on our entire physiology - and it's not to be taken lightly!

3. RioCarter

RioCarter Newcomer

Don't give up hope; there are solutions out there for both hair loss and ED. Keep exploring and trying new things!

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Generic posts reviving an old thread are probably not legit. They will try to come back later and insert a hyperlink to some kind of service or product, or add a new post. Do not respond, do not Like.

update: two more attempts by an identified spammer (hyperlinks) after I wrote this on Friday - I'm locking this thread as there's been no legitimate input since 2021.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.