1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. TMS and spine surgeries

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hello: First I would like to say thank you for providing this resource! I was referred by someone who responded to an article that I wrote on chronic pain on TheMighty.Com. I have read Dr. Sarno's book, Healing Back Pain and I really felt like I had almost all of the characteristics of TMS, however, I have had 5 spine surgeries, am being treated for generalized anxiety disorder and of course depression due to chronic pain. I started reading the structured program and it stated to perhaps not do the program if you are receiving treatment for mental health. How do I find out if I really have this and what would be the harm if I just tried the program?

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi Debbie,

There may be some disclaimers on the SEP regarding concurrent psychotherapy for legal purposes. That said, unless you are being treated for a severe and persistent mental health issue, I find the SEP and other resources like it to be a nice complement to working with a therapist.

Most things that you will be doing in any TMS recovery program include cognitive behavioral exercises to address anxiety as well as emotional work designed to increase your insight and improve your capacity to tolerate emotions. I would simply discuss your TMS work with your therapist to see if anything that you are learning or implementing on your own fits with the work that you're doing in treatment.

There are two ways to find out if you have TMS. The first would be to schedule an appointment with a TMS physician who is capable of making a diagnosis. There is a list of TMS doctors located here on the wiki. The other is by process of elimination. Both involve a leap of faith at some point and the journey is different for everybody.

I would suggest getting to know the material and gathering evidence for yourself to determine a structural vs a psychogenic cause for your symptoms. If you feel stuck, reach out to this fantastic community or schedule an appointment t with a TMS practitioner.

Best of luck in your journey!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.