1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS and PMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hen, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

So I'm curious to know if the other ladies who deal with TMS see an increase in their symptoms (both mentally and physically) during premenstrual syndrome?

I feel like the past 2 months when I've been PMSing my TMS is worse. It would make sense-PMS for me and a lot of women includes an increase in anxiety/anger/depression/irritability.

I'd love to hear from women who've experienced similar increases in symptoms and or from men who dealt with women who have the dreaded PMS and TMS.

Thanks,
    Courtney

Lotus likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Sorry, Hen, I am a bachelor so know nothing on this subject. I hope you get some more helpful replies and just wish you a Happy New Year and healthy 2016. s

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Courtney -

I have learned so much about the mind-body connection that I am convinced that this knowledge can be applied to any condition, illness, or injury. Our ability to visualize a healthy immune system and our own inner healing power means that we can have a better outcome, faster, and with fewer meds, than someone with zero mind-body awareness - or worse, a negative outlook, or "I want them to fix me" belief.

When I crashed my bike and broke my hip three years "before Sarno", my pain level while in the emergency room was really intense as I visualized being bedridden and immobilized. But as soon as the examining doc told me that they could put a few little pins in my femur and have me on crutches in two days, my pain level went down by half, and I refused the heavy narcotics, preferring ibuprofen to take the edge off. After the surgery the nurses kept coming by to ask me what my pain level was, which I didn't know how to answer, so I finally came up with "I've had cramps worse than this, just give me some ibuprofen and stop worrying about me". I was so happy that I could be mobile right away, I banished my fears and assumed that I would be fine in no time which I was.

I suspect that PMS has many TMS components to it, and that TMS awareness can be used to lessen the symptoms. But I'm 64, and discovered Dr. Sarno at 60, so I'm afraid I can't test that theory anymore!

~Jan

Lotus and Hen like this.
  4. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Hen. This is an interesting subject(for me at least). I have been peri-menopausal for a few years now. I have always struggled with PMS and it feels like it has just gotten worse for me. I have recovered from so many of my chronic TMS conditions and this is the big one I have been grappling with. I have done a bunch of research on menopause because I really do not want to take any kind of hormones and have been looking for alternate remedies. So many of the books I have read for menopause talk about how important your mental outlook is, getting enough sleep and exercise, meditation, yoga... In fact one of the books is called "Mind over Menopause." I wish I had a clear answer for you but I do know all of things you do to take care of yourself for TMS(not beating yourself up, experiencing your emotions, reducing stress, mindful meditation... should help your PMS). For the last year I was getting a right sided headache and pain in my right neck/shoulder a day before my period started. I tried not to worry about it or give it too much attention because I knew it was short lived. I haven't been getting those recently even though my PMS symptoms have been increasingly severe. I am seeing an accupuncurist to help me through menopause and that seems to be helping. When I was divorced from my first husband 11 years ago, I noticed that I had an especially hard time emotionally during that time of the month for about a year. I was studying Ekhart Toile a lot and the homeopath I was working with recommended that this was a very rich time for a woman to explore her emotions. My homeopath said that I should schedule that time to reflect, write, explore, and to fully feel what comes up. Just what is recommended for TMS! So it would make sense if our emotional side is a little closer to the surface, and TMS is trying its best to distract us from something emotional, that our symptoms would be aggravated.

Hen likes this.
  5. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

Hi Jan,
    I guess one of the reasons I posted and was looking for replies was that much like you I am looking for both validation and reinforcement that I do have TMS and that I can make it better with time and with effort put into the process. I think a big part of this for me is to "banish my fears" as you wrote. I have so many. I am tired of them to be honest but part of understands that acknowledging these fears, feeling the fear and working through it will be the key to stepping out of the pain.

Thanks for replying!

QUOTE="JanAtheCPA, post: 58303, member: 2"]Hi Courtney -

I have learned so much about the mind-body connection that I am convinced that this knowledge can be applied to any condition, illness, or injury. Our ability to visualize a healthy immune system and our own inner healing power means that we can have a better outcome, faster, and with fewer meds, than someone with zero mind-body awareness - or worse, a negative outlook, or "I want them to fix me" belief.

When I crashed my bike and broke my hip three years "before Sarno", my pain level while in the emergency room was really intense as I visualized being bedridden and immobilized. But as soon as the examining doc told me that they could put a few little pins in my femur and have me on crutches in two days, my pain level went down by half, and I refused the heavy narcotics, preferring ibuprofen to take the edge off. After the surgery the nurses kept coming by to ask me what my pain level was, which I didn't know how to answer, so I finally came up with "I've had cramps worse than this, just give me some ibuprofen and stop worrying about me". I was so happy that I could be mobile right away, I banished my fears and assumed that I would be fine in no time which I was.

I suspect that PMS has many TMS components to it, and that TMS awareness can be used to lessen the symptoms. But I'm 64, and discovered Dr. Sarno at 60, so I'm afraid I can't test that theory anymore!

~Jan[/QUOTE]

6. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

Hi Anne,

I'm also struggling with peri-menopause and think that its definitely in some ways connected with my TMS. I have definitely undergone changes in my life before but somehow in my 45th year the thought of change has paralyzed my mind with fear. Little wonder that my body began to react. I'm definitely of the mind set that alternative and holistic type therapies are probably more to my liking. I am currently on birth control pills but they are not making anything better. In fact I think they might be making things worse (like breast pain).

I used to do a LOT of yoga but have felt sidelined due to pain. I did do yoga yesterday and got through it. I am sore today. I don't like how many of the articles I see about peri and menopause are all horror stories. Sort of parallel to structural abnormalities and the onset of TMS or the connection there. I would love to see more books, articles and women talking about the positive side of perimenopause because there has to be some good things!

Thanks for responding! I appreciate it.

Anne Walker likes this.
  7. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Hen,
    Sorry, I'm a little late in responding. PMS definitely caused an increase in all my TMS symptoms, especially migraines. But I also had endometriosis, so I had a complete hysterectomy at age 37. After that, no more PMS, but I soon developed fibromyalgia (symptom imperative at work). You can read my story on my profile page or in the success stories sub-forum.

Wishing you the best and a happy new year.

Lotus, Hen and Anne Walker like this.
  8. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Hen. I couldn't agree more that I wish there were a lot more positive stories out there about going through menopause or being perimenopausal. And women's experiences with it have so much variation, sometimes lasting a few years and sometimes for decades! And the fact that it is often referred to as "the change" is so ominous. We are where we are, and the best thing to do is breathe, not try to resist it, and trust that it is all going to work out for the best. I used to do a lot of yoga as well and then a few years ago when I had some vertigo, my doctor told me not to do yoga. That was all it took to create a lot of fear around doing forward bends. Fear is so constricting, and yoga releasing. And there is so much yoga that doesn't even involve forward bends! Thanks, this has been good for me to talk about.

Lotus and Hen like this.
  9. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Any change related to the aging process brings on fear and loathing at the unfairness of aging and of our inevitable mortality. Or, to identify it according to Dr. Sarno via Freud, it produces rage at the unfairness of our impending death.

This was certainly one of my biggest rage issues and it is why TMS symptoms, which I can see were a part of my life from a very young age, became lifestyle-threatening at age 60.

Anne Walker likes this.
  10. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

Thanks for talking about it with me!

11. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

Happy New Year Ellen! I read your story and was really impressed with your tips on overcoming TMS. Will probably re-read.

12. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

Hi Courtney,

For the last couple of months, I too have found that PMS (and also period pain) has had an impact on my TMS symptoms. It didn't for the first few months, which is strange. (My TMS symptoms are pelvic pain, so this really throws a spanner in the works for me!). All quite confusing.

I think it's especially hard when you're new to learning about TMS and you're trying to build confidence in your symptoms being TMS, and then PMS comes along and makes you highly irritable and anxious and tense, so you start focussing on symptoms/the body rather than 'thinking psychologically' because you're not at your best. PMS/menstruation is a structural/hormonal (albeit normal) process but it does drawn attention back to the body.

Bye,
    Sara :)

13. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

Hey Sara-I had the same experience but I now that I think about it I hadn't diagnosed myself as having TMS right away either and luckily I've only been dealing with it for about 3 months but the past 2 months my cycles have really exacerbated my pain levels and my anxiety and that can go in either direction-one affects the other etc etc.

I'd like to see more women doctors writing about this as its certainly important for the many women who deal with TMS and PMS in addition to perimenopausal and menopausal women too. I have heard of PMS referred to as a "social construction" by researchers and anytime I hear another woman say that I want to punch her. But if we think of a PMS as a "social construction" we are getting into TMS type territory no?

Much to think about...I'll be working hard to get prepared for the next cycle. Planning on increased exercise and deep breathing.

Peace,
    Courtney

14. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

Hi girls,

I posted on the wiki recently : tms or menopause" said to notice not a lot response>
    read this post and was happy : there' something here about pms and menopause afterall!

I am new to the tms forum and new to tms in general.
    been suffering from pain almost 4 years and are age 49. I know for sure that
    menopause (perimenopause) plays a roll in my problems. I also believe I have a tms personality
    but am still not sure what to think of it all (just read one book and it is all kind new..bear with me please)
    My main problem now is that I know that perimenopause can cause huge anxiety and anger etc..
    will I dig into the tms ideas : then maybe I am digging in stuff wich is not the problem : just hormons
    causing all this tension!? I do believe I had issues before this wich seems to be tms
    I am just struggling with this extra menpause subject

Karina

Hen likes this.
  15. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

Hormones and TMS are mentioned in this interview:

16. karinabrown

Hi ewok,

Thanks for this :
    Like Steve mentioned himself : for some naming everything psysical tms is too much : i can agree there , to me that is the case.

Ewok2 likes this.
  17. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

I understood him to be saying that hormone issues are TMS but some pain conditions can be caused by extreme bad diet (total acid diet he mentins I think). I would really like to understand more about TMS and diet and the interplay with hormones.

18. iwire

iwire Peer Supporter

Hi Courtney-
    first-- in response to your question--yes, I do notice that my symptoms are worse cyclically-- particularly pms time-- I am especially interested in how TMS and PMS may be alike in some ways --my interest is spurred by evidence that PMS is a Western Culture phenomenon-- not necessarily experienced by all women in all cultures. Maybe you would find this article interesting-- and the ties to TMS philosophy are intriguing to me!
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3677777 (Premenstrual syndrome as a western culture-specific disorder. - PubMed - NCBI)

Lotus likes this.
  19. karinabrown

Hi iwire,

I remember once reading, too badly don’t have a link, that the difference between different cultures in terms of PMS and menopause are explained on dieet on the one hand : But : and this is also important : they suspect women say in China etc have just as much problems with PMS and menopause but their culture is making them silent about that sort of things , too private too much shame ..so its not so obvious what it is

iwire likes this.
  20. karinabrown

Well there is more i find a bit too much : the cancer ‘ part ! There are babies and small children dying too from cancer : so if the explenation is ‘they do not have selflove .. ?
    Strugling with stress etc, Cannot believe that

Ewok2 likes this.