1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. TMS and OA

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Read Sarno's book many years ago and it helped me recover from severe coccyx pain, so I am a real believer. But now that I am 78, with some actual OA symptoms, plus the fears and reality of losing many friends - I am finding it harder not to awfulize when the TMS jumps to different locations. Moreover, at my age I've pretty much faced down my demons and know them, so I don't think there are any repressed ones left to find.
    Any suggestions on how to handle this?

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question.

It sounds like the emotional issues fueling your TMS/fear-cycle are more existential than they are about your past demons. You've likely done enough emotional archaeology related to your past and probably don't need to do much more. Issues related to aging and mortality are important to address and frequently cause people to become symptomatic.

I've worked with multiple individuals who had a recurrence of symptoms that we traced back to the fear, uncertainty, and grief that are an inevitable part of the aging process.

I would recommend that you start exploring these issues in your emotional work. If doing it on your own isn't effective, consider working with a therapist who can guide you through this process. The ideal therapist would have some experience working with individuals in your phase of life paired with a knowledge of TMS principles.

Additionally, practice the cognitive-behavioral work of reframing the meaning of the the pain, practicing outcome independence, managing your anxiety, and creating safety for yourself.

Best of luck to you!

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.