1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS and IBS-D...what to do about meds

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Blindsided, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Blindsided

Blindsided New Member

I wonder if anyone has any insight on whether or not to take the meds I've been prescribed for my IBS. They supposedly help keep the bowel from spasming as much. Since it may take a while for me to effect a cure via the TMS (convince my brain to stop hurting me) I'm prone to continuing them. Has anyone else any experience with this? Comments would be appreciated.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Blindsided!

I'm no expert on meds, but you know Dr. Sarno and many other TMS professionals say that if medication helps you to focus on recovery, because going off it is too big a step, then you should go ahead and take it. That's the stock answer.

But you clearly said "supposedly" in relation to the medication's effectiveness. And you also say "continuing" to take it, which together I think mean that you've been taking the medication, but aren't all that convinced it's doing anything.

If that's the case, I suggest that you view it in a different context. Because here's the thing: if IBS is triggered by your brain, rather than by something pathological (and that's why we're here, because we believe that to be the case) then medications aren't, in fact, going to be all that helpful all by themselves. In any brain-based condition, the meds really need to you to visualize how they are supposed to work. I'm absolutely serious about this. This medication might in fact have a mild ability to affect the spasms, but your brain is the one in control, and it can easily overpower a mild positive affect.

Now here's the secret: what I just described, is exactly how the placebo effect works. And it's brilliant! There are a few radical doctors out there who are writing about the power of the placebo effect, because it really needs to be harnessed - it works, because our brains are in charge. Your brain is totally in charge of the muscles of your gut, and you can help it help the medication to work. Along with doing your TMS work and reading and participating here. And eventually, you will realize that you have total confidence in your ability to be healthy even without this medication.

There are tons of resources out there about how to do visualizations - give a shout-out if you need help finding some.

And by the way, Welcome to our community - and keep us posted :^)

Jan