1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS aggravated by pressure on the low back?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by torahais, Sep 3, 2018.

1. torahais

torahais Newcomer

Hi folks. New member here. I'm Anthony.

I've had back pain on and off for 20 years, but I managed it quite well with tai chi and chiropractic -- until recently.

I'm going through a heartbreaking divorce, and I don't think it's any coincidence that I've experienced severe back pain this year.

During a recent bout, I stumbled on Dr. Sarno's books. I had actually read one of them years ago, but my back was doing okay so I forgot about it.

Long story short -- I was in severe pain for about 10 days. The pain was so bad one night that I crawled to the fridge to get an ice pack but literally couldn't stand up to get to the freezer.

Then, about a week ago, I got fed up. I found Dr. Sarno's books, among others, and quickly read them. (I read fast.)

I have TMS, I declared. I'm an experienced meditator, so I sat in meditation and really sent this message into my subconscious.

Within 12 hours my back pain was cut in half. Within 24 hours, it was down by 75%. Within 2 days, I was doing tai chi again and getting 10,000 steps a day.

Here's my question: Does anyone else get flare-ups triggered by pressure to the low back?

Although I'm doing much, much better, I still have trouble sleeping because applying pressure to my low-back seems to trigger a painful muscle spasm.

So I go in to spasm if I lie down on my back or lean back in a chair.

Is this just part of the process? Any thoughts?

Glad to be here, and thanks for this great Wiki!

2. AnonymousNick

AnonymousNick Peer Supporter

I've found that the couple of times I've had really bad shooting back pain since I learned of TMS a few months ago, it's been easy to call b.s. on it and laugh at it. Starts to get better in a half an hour or so. The more nagging pains -- cramp type things, tension, stomach upset, etc. have been much tougher to banish, probably because they've been with me longer and I've built up the conditioned responses to them.

I get a similar thing leaning back in a chair -- seems like my middle back just starts to cramp, leading to my whole midsection, then my neck gets tight and I've basically just got to get up or probably bring on a migraine. I'm sure it'll be about building a new response to it, but I haven't mastered it. I have sat down without pain though, so I try to remember those times and build off of that. Consciously I get it, but the subconscious needs more convincing I guess. Good luck to all of us.

3. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Welcome! This is conditioning, do a little searching for it and triggers. The brain is so used to the idea that something hurts that it keeps repeating the same pain. Every day will continue to build on the information you have and what is true about your brain, body and your thinking.

Lizzy

4. torahais

torahais Newcomer

Thanks Lizzy. I thought it was probably conditioning, but the whole thing is so odd.

Do you know how I can find a good TMS therapist who works online?

5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Look here on the wiki:

Find a TMS Doctor or Therapist

I don't know how to do a link.

torahais,

This is the best i can offer, because I don't know anything about who does Skype or phone calls. If this isn't helpful, ask on the support forum, others will know.

Lizzy