1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS 0: Me 1

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by plum, Dec 28, 2020.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Way back in the mists of time, I joined the TMS site that existed before this wiki. I told the good people there about the terrible pain my mouth gave me and one cheeky boy told me to go out and enjoy a good beef burger. Back then this was off the chart scary.

Well, fast forward to today.

In what can only be described as an act so typical of this sodding awful year, my cooker decided to give up the ghost midway through cooking dinner on Christmas Day. Cue an insane dash to a bubble members house with hot baking trays and such aplenty.

The next day I ordered a replacement oven online but it won’t be delivered until tomorrow, so we’ve been enjoying party food and takeaways meantime. But today is a monumental TMS knockout because I ordered a Burger King Angus Steakhouse and scoffed it with such relish and freedom that would have made you all proud. (Maybe not of my food choice but of the kicking conditioning into touch).

Many elements of recovery and victory are seemingly small things like this. Little taken-for-granted actions that most people give nary a thought to but when you’ve been in the trenches you know, and savour and feel them like the gifts that they are.

This one is dedicated to @Tennis Tom, thanks for setting up a defining moment. I know you’ll appreciate it and the fact I’m back in the hot tub. beerbuds

Dorado, Idearealist, TrustIt and 14 others like this.
  2. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

This is so wonderful! Celebrating small victories!

plum likes this.
  3. jimmylaw9

jimmylaw9 Peer Supporter

Great story thanks

plum likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, @plum, in this world of uncertainty, it seems there's one thing we can count on, which is "It's always something!" Am I right?

Welcome to 2021! With high hopes nonetheless, because what else is there? :joyful:

~Jan

plum likes this.
  5. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear @plum, congratulations on your victory! Despite the year 2020 from hell, despite the demise of your oven, you persevered and triumphed over your pain! We need more stories like this in 2021!

Best wishes of a pain-free and happy 2021 to all of the TMSers, their families and their friends!

TrustIt, plum and BloodMoon like this.
  6. S70ryT3ll3r

S70ryT3ll3r Newcomer

@plum Hello. I was wondering if you could help me out. I read somewhere that you were the best person to help me as I don't hear a lot of success stories on Trigeminal Neuralgia.
    I have TMJ for years now, my jaw clicks and makes noises and its never really bothered me before. But on november 2020 I got Trigeminal Neuralgia pains (after face exercices, some for TMJ)... at the time I went to the ER and they did a Neurological Test (which is just checking reflexes and touching and etc). And sent me away with pain killers as my reflexes were ok. But knowing about the disease and having major trauma regarding my face, I googled and googled and googled and read all horror stories cause my pain wouldnt go away. A dr told me I had the pains of TN so that meant I have the illness. It scares me to death based on the horror stories I read. I started thinking it was due to the exercises I did, or because of an artery pressing on the nerve or maybe due to TMJ (is that possible, to have that from TMJ?). I have shocks of random pain that happen all over my face, my cheeks, side of mouth, maxilla, jaw, teeth, even my eyes (common). IDK what to do and I'm constantly afraid of face deformity or paralysis or something as I have a MAJOR trauma regarding my face. I had Body Dismorphia when I was a teen and later when I was ok with how my face looked I had unexplained dysesthesias after an injury on my nose bridge that wouldnt go away and made me suicidal (No one ever knew what was wrong with me, I spent 5000+ dollars in doctors, exams, treatments, etc. Lasted 8 months, went away for 9, came back and has been ok with Gabapentin ever since). I am 99% sure those Dysesthesias were TMS because once I actually gradually stopped my medication and felt absolutely nothing for 6 months of no meds, as I was sure I had nothing... one day I thought "Maybe I have nose cancer" and fell into a panick (I'm very hypocondriac) and 20 seconds later those dysesthesias came back. So that I'm sure, but my TN... oh boy, I swear this ain't imagined, I feel strong pain that makes me cry and very sad and scared... I have no triggers, its just completely random shocks of pain.
    I keep reading about back pain and sciatica but I dont see a lot of TN... I'm having an MRI but Im scared of having an MRI too because being a hypocondriac I know that if they find something, there's no going back for me.

I'm so lost... what do you think? Did you have similar symptoms? Did you get better? Do you think its TMS?

7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetheart,

from all you describe here this sounds exactly like TMS. With some slight variations in where the focus rests (and therefore the precise nature of the fear/panic/obsession), I could have written a similar post at the height of my misery. So take heart, relax a little and open yourself up to healing.

Now, you must forgive me for not being able to guide you through this personally but my husband had a terrible accident three weeks ago and I need all my time and energy helping him recover. However you are not alone here. Aside from my many posts there is My Story which may help lend some insights. You can find that by clicking on my avatar. The story is one of the options offered there.

There’s another member who conquered TN. Her name is @Patrisia and her posts are a delight.

Mostly though I want to assure you that there are many people here who will help you. I suggest you repost your words here in the Support Forum making a general appeal for some guidance and support. The gentle souls here have overcome every kind of malady and are committed to helping others.

Explore the posts made by @RogueWave and @miffybunny who have made some outstanding contributions of late.

My friend @JanAtheCPA has a brilliant and very generous collection of resources on her My Story page and her posts are very upbeat and encouraging.

@Dorado offers a particularly inspiring success story. It’s amazing.

Also look at @Baseball65 who pulls no punches but delivers some of the most searingly compassionate wisdom you’ll read.

I’ll try to check in and post when I can. Meantime rest assured that you’re in the right place and that you can fully heal from TN and TMJ, from the OCD, the dysmorphia...from it all.

God Bless my darling,

plum xxx

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  8. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

I had a bout of TMJ for several weeks and I recovered from it. Still get some little bursts near my jawline but I'm not bothered by it bc I know it's TMS.

The only thing you have to do is un-clench and relax your jaw. Make it a habit. That's it.

Also for dysmorphia, try body gratitude. Identify parts of your body that are working perfectly and send gratitude there. Send love to those parts that are hurting.

plum likes this.
  9. S70ryT3ll3r

S70ryT3ll3r Newcomer

Thank you so much, love. You are so nice. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery for your husband

plum likes this.
  10. TG957

@plum, I hope your husband gets better soon! Sending you love and good vibes...

plum likes this.
  11. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you. xxx

I forgot to mention another friend who posts here whose words may help you. She’s also written a book about she overcame TMS and it’s wonderful.

Look for posts by @TG957

Tamara, can you post the link to your book? I’m sorry I didn’t mention you before. I’m a bit cotton-brained at the moment from nursing himself :nurse:

JanAtheCPA and Balsa11 like this.
  12. TG957

Dear @plum, no worries, I don't feel forgotten at all! I wish I could be more helpful with TN,not that I crave to have any first-hand experience with it! But I did have TMJ for years, and that one does seem to be another TMS in disguise.

For those of you who are at your wits end over bizarre symptoms, here is the story about getting out of house of horrors, at @plum's urging: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834Q46SM

Ellen, JanAtheCPA, plum and 1 other person like this.
  13. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I echo that recommendation for @TG957's book! It's on my list (see my profile for all of my favorite TMS resources).

TG957 likes this.
  14. TG957

Thank you so much, Jan!

15. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I've read Tamara's book and it is great!

TG957 likes this.