1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

tight psoas , hip flexors

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Helen, Aug 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

Thank you Morcomm for directions to structured program ,this site can be over whelming with all the information(all good !) and thank you for recommending Dr.Schubiner's book . I checked out his website last night. You wrote that you had similar "symptoms " as I six months ago , may I ask has your hips "opened up"? Have you become more flexible ? Its still so tempting to try various body work and or stretches , do you consider this physical therapy , which I did for months with little to no success? Be well.

3. BruceMC

Yes, my hips did start to "open up" a while ago, but it wasn't from stretching. In fact, over the last three years I have done Pilates and various stretching exercises until I was blue in the face and nada. Same old, same old tightness and pain. When my hips started "opening up" - as you put it - was after I had completed the Structured Program and started getting through Dr. Schubiner's work book of written and emotional exercises. Seemed as though I also changed the settings on the saddle on my road bike too. Chicken or egg? Mind or body? Probably both! Six months ago, my left leg was weak like a noodle and when I pedaled my road bike, the right leg essentially did all the work. Then, slowly but surely, the left leg started coming back, getting stronger and stronger, until I was rotating the pedals from my hips. Just happened. Not easy for me because I think I was clinging to the structural diagnosis by continuing to go into PT and do Pilates on the reformers and Cadillac machines. I remember now how a therapist in there had told me that she had seen my back and that my symptoms indicated an advanced state of arthritis. Obviously, as Dr. Sarno insists, you have to ditch every bit of well-meaning medical advice that so-called experts have told you (that is, once you've determined that there's nothing physically wrong with you, which is an important caveat). Of course, it's easy for me to talk big now that I'm getting better. But it does seem as though all my improvements have to do with changing my mind, not from doing stretches or riding the bike per se. I think it is like Dr. Sarno says, too, if you keep at it you will improve. There's no doubt in my mind about that anymore. Doubt, fear and anxiety are your major enemies in this healing process. Defeat them and you will get better and better. Last week I did a first ascent of a 12,000 ft peak in the Yosemite high country and next week I want to climb Mt Gibbs, which is much, much higher and more remote. Last year I couldn't walk a mile without ending up all bound up with pain and stiffness. You may improve much quicker than I did because I'm a de luxe perfectionist and over-achiever. If I can relax, so can you!

Helen likes this.
  4. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

Thank you for the encouragement. As I sit and type this my right hip is in pain and shooting down the front of leg, yesterday I had min pain though still tight. Both my legs can be problematic , though not at the same time, which is interesting ....I do take ibuprofen which helps. I look forward to hiking, bike riding or even just taking long walks . At this time even a city block is a challenge. I am happy to hear how well your doing. Your mountain climbing with ropes and other accouterments? Thats huge ! Be well and happy.

5. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

ps - when I say my hips are tight the muscles are actually constricted . It is a physical manifestation, so I continue to look for ways to open and relax hip flexors while doing this work. I am hearing you say my hip flexors will open by doing TMS work without stretching ..... Which makes sense to me as the pain is inconsistent from day to day.

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Helen,

I had bad knee pain for a while and walking a city block was difficult. However, once I accepted the diagnosis and gave this approach a try, all my pain faded away and now I can walk or ride a bike all day without any pain. As I read your posts, I find that they focus a lot on your symptom and how it feels, and what sort of pain level you have. What are your emotions at right now, and what are you feeling? What psychological factors do you think are behind your symptoms? These are the key questions you should be trying to understand.

When everyone first starts out, their natural focus in on how their symptoms feels or what level of pain they are in. The key to getting better is switching this focus from the structural to the psychological. How are you doing at this?

Helen likes this.
  7. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

Hi Forrest,
    Thank you for question. I have been thinking about this myself and to be very honest,I still haven't accepted 100% that there isn't something structural causing symptoms. After listening to DR.Sarnos audio book I did improve rather quickly, though not completely. I speak directly and compassionately to my leg or hip and my mind " release" releasing tightness, constriction caused by fear, anger, and moving forward. Forrest, for me to run , bike ride and walk about means freedom , fun and relief from stress , why would I take away what keeps me sane ? Thats the 1% I dont understand........Yesterday I did have a more normal day (shopping, volunteer work )taking it slowly not getting angry at my "slowness " going at my own pace and it was good.

Livvygurl likes this.
  8. BruceMC

You're right, Helen, fighting hard against your TMS symptoms can be another illustration of the Zen Koan: "If you resist, they [i.e. your symptoms] will persist". Taking it easy and going at your own pace is the best way even if it runs counter to your over-achieving, perfectionist personality traits. Of course, easier said than done! Last night about 4 months after starting the Structured Program I just happened to go out to the Nature Preserve and take a hike that had always hurt my left leg, sciatic nerve and hip before. I tried the same hike a bunch of times before, always monitoring my pain level to see if it was going up or down. However, maybe it's because I hadn't taken that hike in a long while, when I walked uphill I noticed that not only was I pain-free, but walking along at a very brisk path, so fast in fact that I wasn't being overtaken by the other hikers. The difference? I'd given up on doing the hike and watching out for TMS symtoms; no obsession. When I got back to the car, I could notice a little sciatica in my left leg, but 10-minutes later at the grocery store it was all gone. This was one of the first times I'd noticed a real quantum leap improvement in my TMS symptoms, but it had taken 4 months of journaling and daily meditation. My advice? Don't set yourself a time limit on the recovery process; that's part of the problem. Taking it easy and relaxing are hard, aren't they?

9. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

So glad to read that your well both for you and encouraging for me. And thank you for validating the process.

10. BruceMC

One thing else I've been doing during the last couple of months too is doing one of Dr. Schubiner's guided meditation exercises each morning before I do anything else that day. Climbing that rubble pile peak in the Sierra last week also seems to have increased my confidence level. If I could walk up 2000 feet of scree and only hurt a little the next day I must be getting more pain-free. The hike last night seemed to validate my belief in the fact that I was improving. I'd say doing anything that increases your confidence in the TMS diagnosis will result in improvement whatever that happens to be. All I know is that today I'm really jazzed and basically indifferent to the pain since it's obviously much more mental than physical. You just need to confirm that some way, whatever way works for you.

Susan and Helen like this.
  11. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

Well I just started day 1 of the structured program and ordered Dr Schribners book, "Unlearn your pain". I am still having an issue accepting TMS as my only "diagnosis ".....

12. BruceMC

Hate to throw water on your parade, Helen, but all that enthusiasm I felt after taking that fast, pain-free hike last Monday was dampened yesterday when TMS pain resurfaced again in my left hip and sciatic nerve, apparently for no physical reason because I'd laid off exercising for a couple of days. But even when the pain came back I also noticed that I hadn't lost any strength walking upstairs last night in the gym. Although it hurt, I still climbed the stairs with greater strength than ever better even though I was feeling more pain. Then, I remember the phenomenon associated with psychological conditioning where a programmed pain symptoms will intensify as it begins to go away. Like the rats who run harder on their exercise wheel when you take away the food reward they're used to receive for that activity. Just part of the deprogramming process so familiar in behavioral psychology. Today the pain is down and I can balance better on my left leg. IOWs: Like Steve O. says, recovery from TMS is a non-linear process. You'll get better and then the symptoms will return but with each improvement cycle you'll get better and better. That sure seems to be true in my own case, especially when I look back a year or so ago when it was quite difficult for me to get on and off my bicycle seat. You just have to see your recovery over the long run while seeing the 'big picture'.

I think 'mindfulness' helps too. I just realized that my TMS pain came back the day before yesterday after taking money out of my home equity account to pay for refurbishing and staining the deck over my patio. However, it didn't happen when I cut the guy the check, but the next day when I carried the patio furniture up a couple of flights of stairs to replace them in their original positions on the deck. Who's furniture was it? It was the furniture that my late father built himself to put out on the deck so he could read in the sun after he retired. I'd say I was violating one of the taboos still present for me in my late parents' house: Touching and moving some of dad's things! Mindfulness can teach you to be aware of the symbolism associated with certain objects in your immediate environment. I think that's what Dr. Sarno means by "thinking psychological". Just moving those items of furniture around the patio and deck didn't cause my sciatica to flare up, but touching dad's property did!

Helen likes this.
  13. Susan

Susan Peer Supporter

Helen,

You will benefit from the Structured Ed Program. It is excellent. Also, after you get Schubiner's book his program can be a value add, but having experienced both, I'd recommend this site's program for a few weeks before starting anything else.

Schubiner's CD of four mindfulness mediations are great. I do #1 each morning, early and it is so relaxing. I like #s 3 &4 as well.

I find that promoting relaxation is a real key especially with tension in your muscles which I have and each day's symptoms are different for me, but I am so much better after committing to the program. Thinking psychological at all times was somewhat difficult for me and I notice as I access emotions more easily now, it has become easier to move quickly to a past traumatic event or current stressor that is bothering me and identify the emotion.

We are here for you and wish you well.

Susan

One thing I have also started is a weekly list of improvements I notice in mind, body, activities. That has validated progress for me which helps you get to 100% certainty.

Helen likes this.
  14. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This is such a great way to view both mindfulness and "thinking psychologically." We never really realize how symbolic some activities or situations are until we really begin to be more mindful of what's going on.

Of course it takes time to get there and its okay to have some doubt or to focus on your symptoms from time to time. We are human after all. A lot of times people beat themselves up when they don't fully accept the diagnosis or have a set back, but as MorComm and Steve both mention, recovery is non-linear. There will be some good days and some bad days, but if you keep with it, you will get there in time. Keep this in mind and be kind to yourself.

It's great to hear that Schubiner's meditation CD has been so helpful. I have it, but haven't really listened to it yet. Perhaps I should give it a try.

Helen likes this.
  15. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

Needed to read this right now. Thank you .

16. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

I have an appt to see Dr.Schecter here in Los Angeles next month , hopefully that will help me accept I have TMS and get on with healing or ,,,,,?

17. BruceMC

Yes, Susan (and Helen), those Schubiner meditations on the CD included in the jacket of Unlearn Your Pain are excellent. However, you might like to also check out a 5th meditation that Schubiner provides on his Web site:

"Embracing Emotions"
    http://www.unlearnyourpain.com/index.php?Unlearn Your Pain Book

Synthesis of the previous four meditations included on the Unlearn Your Pain CD.

And what Forest says about the non-linear nature of TMS recovery is absolutely correct, at least based on my own experience. I mentioned that evening hike I took last week and noted how much improved I was. Then, the pain re-emerged while I was engaged in some psychologically loaded activities connected with my finances, my parents' house, and my late father's old patio furniture. However, when I took the same hike two evenings ago, I noticed that I was hiking much faster, with much less pain and discomfort, than 10 days ago. Despite my pain rising up briefly between the two walks, when I went for a second hike over the same territory, I immediately noticed another jump in improvement, except now there was a stabbing pain in my left knee. IOWs: The pain, although it had subsided in intensity, had shifted its location, but there was still a big improvement over my first hike. Less pain, better coordination, faster pace. But that's the way the recovery process goes: two steps ahead, one back, and then three, four or more steps ahead.

I think it's important not to let the TMS pain fool you into thinking you're not improving. What I look for in my walks is greater speed, better coordination, and faster recovery times that translate into overall improvement over a long continuum. I think it's like Dr. Sarno says about returning to exercise: You just have to keep at it and progress will come even if it's slower than you want. It does seem as though my climbing that talus pile 11,000+ peak on August 5th did represent a quantum leap in my exercise improvement, a sort of break through that has made it easier to progress gradually thereafter. So this week I'm raising the bar and seeing if I can do an ascent of Mt Gibbs (12,744) above Tioga Pass in Tuolumne Meadows. I'm sure I'll hurt more for a few days afterwards but that it will translate into still greater improvement over time in the long run. Sometimes you do have to push it a bit to establish a strong reference point that will increase your confidence level.

Helen likes this.
  18. Susan

Susan Peer Supporter

MorComm,

Thanks for the link to the fifth meditation . I will download.

Susan

19. quasar731

quasar731 Well known member

Hi Helen, I agree that tight hip flexors 'can' be a symptom of TMS but also as Livvygurl said, you have to err on the side of cautiousness and make sure you have a medical evaluation about your hip flexors. I for instance had a fall in 2010. One of the smptoms was that I developed very tight hip flexors. However, the cause was that I had a tear in my hip and an hip impingement in the head of the femur and the acetabulum, lesions from the fall. These two issues caused a generalized inflammation of the tendon insertions and it was not TMS. My tendons got so bad that I could not sit for at least 8 months and the pain was at times grueling. There was no amount of physio or Pilates and sometimes big gun pain killers could not fix it. But when I went through surgery (just last Monday) and the issues in the bone and cartilage were corrected, suddenly pain disappeared, now I can sit without pain and the tightness and ache in the flexors is gone. However, I must admit I had a pathology that could not be corrected without surgery. For most people it may not be necessary.

All the best, get a medical assessment and go from there.

Helen likes this.
  20. Helen

Helen Peer Supporter

Thank you Quasar .I have been diagnosed but 3 MD's ignored scar tissue build up above both my knees , tight psoas ,and other symptoms by viewing MRI of my back and concluding disk herniation , arthritis etc,,," looking forward to correct diagnosis while working TMS program , as I am improving...