1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

This might sound like a stupid question ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by h2oskier25, Nov 21, 2019.

1. h2oskier25

h2oskier25 New Member

.... but would anybody be interested in speaking or writing on a one on one level - for the purpose of releasing some of our pent up anxiety?

I ask this because, after seeing a therapist who supposedly specialized in TMS (I could tell I was her first patient EVER with TMS) it became clear to me that one of the biggest causes of my TMS is that I don't have anybody to talk to about the current challenges in my life.

I would love to be the ear that somebody needed in exchange for them being a sounding board for me once in a while.

It would be a lot cheaper than spending money on therapists, who just listen, and don't know what to say.

Thanks,

BinLA likes this.
  2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there, Does she call herself a TMS therapist? That seems odd that she just sits and listens....I think everyone here can be a good sounding board for you!

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Great Idea h2!

Yes!!

I want to say that I have several friends whom I relate to on a regular basis in a way which is similar to what you're asking for. What a wonderful thing this is for all of us.

So if you get moving on this here, here are some ideas from my experience. We create certain parameters, such as agree on amount of time to talk without interruption, use a timer, ask for feedback or not, etc. One great way to get a response, if you want one at all is to say "how are you impacted by listening to me?" The listener then speaks about their own experience: "I was bored when you said______." "I felt close to you when_____." I wanted to know more about _____." "I noticed I felt sad when you were talking about_________." etc. This kind of relating takes honesty, and a commitment to the relationship, but anyone can do it.

Good luck in this endeavor, and you might also look at https://focusingresources.com/more-information-about-focusing/ (What is Focusing? How does Focusing work? Is this for me?)
    if you don't get much of a response on our forum.
    Not sure if you can get partners through this outfit, but the quality of people is there, and the basic practice is outstanding.

Andy

4. h2oskier25

h2oskier25 New Member

MiffyBunny, Thanks for your response. I agree with you that everybody is a potential "sounding board" on this site.

However, I just don't think anybody would be interested in hearing my emotional issues (or financial, or relationship, or whatever) just to listen to make my pain go away.

BUT, I was thinking that having somebody I could talk to (and listen to) on a one to one basis would be helpful for both of us.

Does that make sense?

5. h2oskier25

h2oskier25 New Member

Andy,

Thank you for your suggestions! Since one of my issues IS that I don't know many people who I'm really close with, I really want to find somebody who would be willing to talk about their challenges while I listen, and vice versa.

I will certainly check out the site you suggested.

Thank you