1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

This is why I still have doubt

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by tgirl, Nov 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

When I read different posts I seem to pick out reasons why a TMS diagnosis doesn’t fit. Alan says that most people have a certain position that contributes to their symptoms. I don’t-it can be any position.`There are more examples as well. I spoke with my doctor during a physical two weeks ago and he said again that the neurologists and various tests showed nothing and thought maybe my body expressed anxiety this way. He’s not a TMS doctor.

Also I get a bit overwhelmed when trying to decide what program or method to use to reduce or hopefully eliminate my symptoms. I know first I must totally believe that it’s TMS, and after that? There is the SEP program, Alan’s program, Nicole Sachs, there is reading TMS books (I’ve read three) and so on....Any suggestions on how to approach this would be appreciated.

Truthfully I was doing okay with respect to my attitude until I got a false positive on a blood test two weeks ago which sent me on a downward spiral. I had the test redone and it’s normal, so I feel I am ready to start or restart a program now. It does frustrate me to think that I let a blood test derail me so badly. Thank you for any input.

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I had pain regardless of any position. It was constant and widespread nerve pain. Everyone manifests symptoms differently and form associations with different things. It's not reality though. I heard of a woman with RSD who felt better with a tight sock on her arm for ex. It was all psychological. There was nothing magical about the sock...it was a placebo effect. Our minds are so powerful. As far as which program to do, you are overthinking it. It doesn't matter which one you do. I never did any formal program but I had therapy. All that matters is that you read one or 2 books and do the work. There's no right or wrong way or special formula. I think this is an example of perfectionist thinking in itself. The books are step one. Step 2 is putting what you learned into practice. The programs are just tools in your journey to living an authentic life.

silentflutes, JanAtheCPA and nowa like this.
  3. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Miffybunny, thank you so much for your response. I do overthink things and it can do me such a disservice.

Baseball65, miffybunny and nowa like this.
  4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Back brace... same thing. It made me feel like something warm and fuzzy was holding me in place. I totally get that
    Uh... TMS doesn't have anything to do with positions. Was That a TMS guy?

I thought I was having TMS in my face so I treated it as such and got rid of the pain...then when I went in for some cosmetic dentistry I HAD an infection. That doesn't mean I am exempt from TMS or, How would I have made the pain go away?

I needed a distraction because I was PISSED at my son, my client and the elements (it was 105+ with the heat index)

Sarno alluded to the observation that our body is an integrated system and if it wants to create a distraction, what better way then to search out an...ummm ...anomaly...or even natural wear and tear (knees,discs,etc)

It's like a frickin' daemon in our bodies and it will create elaborate strategies to save you from emotional pain...as elaborate as white blood cells rushing to fight infection... one big complicated intelligent system. Smarter than us and our doctors combined.

If your Blood work came back less than ideal, that would NOT rule out psychogenic symptoms

JanAtheCPA and tgirl like this.
  5. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks Baseball65.

6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm with @miffybunny and @Baseball65. Alan may have said something like this, but knowing his work (and I've been following him for 8 years) he's more likely to be trying to point out how some of us can fool ourselves into thinking that body position has any physiological significance. The fact that you do not experience this is equally insignificant. Believe us.
    I'm confused. Are you saying this is an example of why a TMS diagnosis doesn't fit?
    To me, it sounds like more proof of TMS, from a good doctor who is open to the truth of the mindbody connection. Is that not what you heard?

tgirl likes this.
  7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

JanAtheCPA thanks for taking the time to reply. The sensations I experience began the first time after a really bad flu, years ago. It totally cleared up after a few weeks only to return two more times. The last time was after a protracted time of stress, so its return does make sense. My doctor points out that I’ve had ‘odd’ symptoms on and off over the years of seeing him, so this is why he said that possibly this is another anxiety symptom. One thing that lingers in the back of my mind is its onset coinciding with the flu. A couple of years ago he said maybe it was the flu that caused it. Well that was it, I was depressed for weeks. Now he’s onto anxiety being the possible culprit. My doctor looked at his files and said not one test came back positive and I’ve been through the ringer as far as testing goes. He looks like he’s going to cry when I bring it up. Lol

My mind hangs onto anomalies, like the flu, or the symptoms being very atypical etc.

My health is very good otherwise, so I am reading Claire Weekes right now and will be doing one of the programs offered on this site. Thanks for reading....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Baseball65 likes this.
  8. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

If you look at viruses, they are responses to lowered immune systems. You immunity is lowered when your nervous system is in overdrive. This too is a TMS equivalent (like chronic fatigue or chemical sensitivities). There's a program on YT called the Gupta Program which is totally in line with Sarno (you don't need to watch it necessarily) but I do remember him addressing the topic of viruses at length. The only thing holding you back is these false beliefs you have about yourself and your body. I tested super high for Epstein Barr for example, but I put zero stock in that. It is utterly meaningless to me. All of these things are just distractions and not the cause of your pain or fatigue. We always think that we are somehow "different" or "terminally unique"...I used to think I was a freak tbh, but this is simply not reality or truth. We are all the same at the end of the day. The human species has not changed.

tgirl and JanAtheCPA like this.
  9. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks miffybunny. I have to get it through my head that overt physical causes such as the flu can be TMS.

miffybunny likes this.
  10. JanAtheCPA

@tgirl, are you listening to any podcasts? Nicole's most recent one is labeled "Stuck!" and it could have been made just for you.

tgirl likes this.
  11. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks, I’ll listen to it today.

12. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

JanAtheCPA, I went onto Podcasts and typed in Nicole Sachs, Stuck and nothing is showing up. Do you know what I might be doing wrong? Thx

13. JanAtheCPA

Search for the name of her podcast, which is The Cure for Chronic Pain. The "Stuck" episode is from last Friday.

tgirl likes this.
  14. 49C2

49C2 New Member

I am new here as well (Day 20 in the SEP). I had a hard time deciding which program to do, but I decided on the SEP because I enjoy the journaling. It helps me to "get out" anything that may be stressing me. I also look over Alan's Pain Recovery Program on days when I have time. I could be wrong (since I'm still in considerable pain) but I think it's just labeled Day 1, 2, 3, etc. so that you do it in order. No one is going to fault you if you don't do it on consecutive days. Someone here suggested that I not put any additional stress on myself to get or do any of the programs in a certain amount of time. Look them over, maybe try each one and see which one you feel more comfortable with. There is a lot of information, and like I said, I'm still in pain but I'm working on the TMS aspect and hoping it subsides soon.

JanAtheCPA and tgirl like this.