1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Thinking psychological even when feeling good

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by veronica73, Mar 23, 2012.

1. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Yesterday I noticed at one point that I was actually feeling GOOD--like not just an absence of pain (in fact there was a little pain) but that I felt good overall. It occurred to me how important it is to see health as something more than just the absence of pain and illness.

When I am in pain, I now think about what might be going on emotionally, but I never do that when I feel good, it's like I am just so happy to not be in pain. But yesterday I found myself thinking, OK what created this positive, healthy way of being today?

The answer for me yesterday was that I made some connections about different emotional things/issues and their relationship to my TMS. I also felt like I was really heard and validated by someone.
    One other thing: this forum has become a really great support for me. Thank you all. This really means a lot to me. Numerous times I've been in support groups (face-to-face in person groups) where I ended up supporting everyone. NOT FUN! (although something in me definitely enabled or encouraged that behavior).

~ V

2. Max

Max Peer Supporter

Your post certainly gives the impression that you are feeling good, really pleased for your progress.Good luck and keep moving forward, I am sure that you will get there. :)

3. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

That is great to hear! It's a journey, not a destination as the saying goes. :)

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This sounds like a great understanding of overall Mind Body health. I hear a lot that when we have symptoms we need to think psychologically, but as you mentioned it is also important to think psychologically when we are symptom free. Understanding our emotions when we are not have symptoms can help us handle those times when we do have symptoms. I think it just gives us more introspection into what's going on, which can help us identify which issues might trigger our symptoms.

Enrique likes this.
  5. Enrique

Enrique Well known member

Well said Forest!

6. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

Enrique - journey is it. A few months ago, about 6-8 weeks into the program, I felt like I had an awakening. Not a program to do - problem solved. But an awakening, getting in sync and acceptance with my life, being grateful and hopeful and looking forward to the continuing journey of discovery and possibility. Not that I have solved my type A personality... and not that I don't worry about stuff, but is mostly on a conscious level. When I recognize it, I try to step back, review my journal/affirmation notebook, set an intention to get back in the open path, and then accept it. I think for me it will always be a practice and journey.

I like Forest's comments too - that it is important to keep focused and aware, even we feeling great and good things are going on in life.

Thanks to you two, and everyone for the forum and the positive and supportive thoughts and feedback when posting.

Enrique likes this.
  7. Ollin

Ollin Peer Supporter

Veronica, I think you made a great point. In addition to gaining greater self-awareness, it is believed that acting the same way whether or not we have the pain is the best way towards undermining our "need for the pain" (of course in the subconscious). If we were always aware of our emotions, we wouldn't have developed TMS, so when thinking psychological becomes our habit then we won't need the pain to remind us about doing so.

Enrique likes this.
  8. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

This is such a great way to view things. I don't really think we need to change our personalities to overcome TMS/PPD, and I think we will still worry about things from time to time. The difference is how we handle it. Sewmuch, I like your idea of recognizing when our TMS personality is coming out and to guide ourselves on a more open path. This will prevent us from feeding the downward spiral of anxiety, worry, and fear.