1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 13 Things that have helped

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by jokeysmurf, May 6, 2018.

1. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

I'm by no means 100% recovered but I am far better than before and mostly in 4 months a lot of progress with slower progress after. So here is a list of things I did or do that helped.

Journaling while doing bilateral stimulation. I treat my journaling sessions as a kind of free associations. I just let fears, worries, thoughts and images flow. I close my eyes between writing and let it come naturally. Eventually I am able to see how all of these things are connected. I used bilateral stimulation while I close my eyes and picture these things that usually distress me.

Neurolinguistic Programming: visualization techniques. Every morning is difficult with some degree of anxiety. I wake up on and off with nausea or mild stomach cramps. I do breathing exercises until the cramps subside and I proceed with visualizing. There are lots of lessons on how to do it all over the web.

Affirmations and gratitude lists. Even if I don't believe what I write I write what I would like to believe. Being negative requires little effort but positivity requires a lot more practice.

EMDR: I did this sparingly but it helped. For some it's too distressing it depends on the individual.

Peter Levine's waking the tiger exercises.

Yoga: this was great for all things.

TRE- good to release pent up energy.

Exercise- as much as you cans handle.

Naps- even when I had trouble sleeping I would still rest. Rest is better than nothing.

Les Femhi Open Focus exercises or Yoga Nidra.

CBT- for anxiety. It has been so helpful

Meditation.
    That's it's. I mean that's a lot but these things have all helped with making recovery softer.

I am currently doing some intermittent fasting to lose a few lbs. besides I developed a phobia around not eating and this Fasting is helping face some of the lingering phobia thoughts and behavior.

2. JillJill

JillJill New Member

Thank you for sharing your list. Some are new to me so I'll check them out. I already find yoga and mindful meditation help a lot. I wonder, do you have to have a particular traumatic event for EMDR therapy?

3. jokeysmurf

jokeysmurf Well known member

I don't think so. I used it for anxiety and as it turns out a lot of what I reacted to was actually rooted in childhood. Mostly fears of not fitting in or being different and so on. As Dr. Sarno pointed out the unconscious mind has no perception of time and childhood or present can be just as impactful. Usually you identify what might be bothering you, you can even start with body pains and the brain will do the rest with opening up with fears etc.

I also followed Alan Gordon's program. That was very helpful.

Good luck hope it helps.

4. JillJill

JillJill New Member

Thank you Jokeysmurf :)! I'm definitlely going to do Alan Gordon's programme after this one.